Sometimes Things like this make me want to stop. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Thumbs down Sometimes Things like this make me want to stop.

Well I figured not everyone who is into planted tanks looks here so I posted some of my stringy moss on Aquabid, Next thing I know I get a very ignorent email from some person trying to tell me there is only one moss which is java. and she was dead serious too it wasnt a joke or anything, she was dead set on saying I'm a scammer. Well I wasn't very happy about this and it was the first time I have ever gotten this type of email so I was very nice and informative in the begining but kept getting madder and madder while I was writing it so I doubt the person Will ever email me again lol...

But if you got an email like this, What would your reaction be?
Two seperate emails from the same person, I'm discusted. Just take a min and go to google, Google Aquatic moss and you will learn otherwise

Quote:
A user at AquaBid.com has a question for you about the following item:

The item information posted is as follows :

Item number : 1163976600
Item Title : Rare and near impossible to find! Stringy Moss!
URL Here : [edited - per forum policy, no links to your aquabid auctions allowed]

Hi. This is Java Moss, which is related to Christmas Tree Moss. Just an FYI. *smiles*
Quote:

The item information posted is as follows :

Item number : 1163976600
Item Title : Rare and near impossible to find! Stringy Moss!
URL Here : [edited - per forum policy, no links to your aquabid auctions allowed]

Oh... I also forgot to mention... Yes, it is hard to find in places like petsmart or petco, but in smaller LFS's that stock plants, and among local fish and aquatic plant fancier groups, they practically give it away... My LocalFishStore gave me two huge clumps for free, cuz they always have too much of it... I also just picked up a bunch of it for free from one of my online fish chat forums. A lot of people use it to build Java Moss walls, or tie it to driftwood or rocks or tie it to plastic mesh creations to grow through the mesh. So don't be disappointed if you don't get what you're asking for it. If you don't, you might try asking less. I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that, just trying to give you a heads-up.
Has anyone else had this horrible experience?

- Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, i can'y believe she said that....im actually in awe
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
well, considering the differences between mosses are subtle, and often microscopic, I'm not surprised by their impression, only that they feel it necessary to impress it upon you.

I used to be one of those people on ebaY safe harbor that would email people privately and warn them that an item they were bidding on was definitely fraudulent. no matter how many ways I proved it to them, they would continue to suspect I was a competitive seller trying to sabotage that auction. That's why I decided it's pointless to write the kind of email you just got, even if I know I'm 1,000% right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah and on top of this, I was selling it REALLY cheap too. Same clear out prices as on here since I need to get rid of it before it dies in the baggies.

Andrew
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
well, considering the differences between mosses are subtle, and often microscopic, I'm not surprised by their impression, only that they feel it necessary to impress it upon you.

I used to be one of those people on ebaY safe harbor that would email people privately and warn them that an item they were bidding on was definitely fraudulent. no matter how many ways I proved it to them, they would continue to suspect I was a competitive seller trying to sabotage that auction. That's why I decided it's pointless to write the kind of email you just got, even if I know I'm 1,000% right.
I do understand this point of view, but I am 100000% right, and the emailer was 1000% wrong.

And if she only took the 10 seconds to google it she would of been informed otherwise....

Well I really have to go and will be away for the weekend Cya guys.

- Andrew

Ohh and I just want to say, I thought she Emailed me about my new auction not the old one that was set to run 5 times but I don't think that really makes any difference. And the old one should be down this weekend I think.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Hmmm...not only that, but Christmas moss is a Vesicularia species, while Java moss is a Taxiphyllum species.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
Hmmm...not only that, but Christmas moss is a Vesicularia species, while Java moss is a Taxiphyllum species.
That's definitely the funniest part!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like your statement on AB...
Quote:
I will gaurentee that there will be NO DOA on this moss, and if there is I will send more, or refund you everything (but shipping) The only time this dose not Apply is if the postal survice is to blame.
I think the only way you can kill moss is to dry it up.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
WOW....
FN Don't be dicouraged...the world is full of ignorance. All you can do is try to enlighten people. If they don't accept it then move on.
I can look at it and tell it is nothing like Java Moss, but hey....I am just a fresh newby.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
There is a difference in the two mosses. That is true. Even with that fact if you were really wanting to just get rid of it so it does not die in the baggies why did you put it up in aquabid and not just let it go as a RAOK and have the buyer just pay shipping. After all moss most kinds are so freely available.

Hey I got some Fissidens at the AGA Plant Auction at the end of the convention. Humm??!!! Should I just give the clippings away or sell them??

BTW I can understand that you are somewhat disgruntled by their comments. I get things like that once in a while on aquabid but I just return a comment once and just ignore them. And that is all. If I posted all the negitive comments from aquabid in the Plantedtank forums it would be filled with negitive comments. I just ignore them and move on.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
just wanted to add if she has seen any aquatic mosses before its quite easy to tell that there are more then one compare java moss growth to fiddisens, stringy, errect,christmas,peacock,weeping,flame moss the list keeps going all of these have visible traits that can be easily seen!

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
Well I figured not everyone who is into planted tanks looks here so I posted some of my stringy moss on Aquabid, Next thing I know I get a very ignorent email from some person trying to tell me there is only one moss which is java. and she was dead serious too it wasnt a joke or anything, she was dead set on saying I'm a scammer. Well I wasn't very happy about this and it was the first time I have ever gotten this type of email so I was very nice and informative in the begining but kept getting madder and madder while I was writing it so I doubt the person Will ever email me again lol...

But if you got an email like this, What would your reaction be?
Two seperate emails from the same person, I'm discusted. Just take a min and go to google, Google Aquatic moss and you will learn otherwise

Has anyone else had this horrible experience?

- Andrew
I wouldnt say this is a horrible experience. If she is incorrect, she is just ignorant. Send a few links to the facts and move on. It is not like the threatened to carpet bomb your neighborhood. She is pretty nice about her comments.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Geez I still have trouble telling the difference between my Taiwan and Java Moss. In the end I basically gave up!

It was somewhat rude but eh, life goes on. Don't even worry about it. You know your stuff.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to andrewwl
Don't let someone like this ruin your day - people who need to run around on the internet to find someone to correct in an effort to feel good deserve our pity.

Write back something nasty, and then mirror her little "*smiles*" crap at the end of the message. That'd make me sleep better tonight :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode