fluval FX5/6 vs. fluval g6 vs. sump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question fluval FX5/6 vs. fluval g6 vs. sump

what one would you guys recommend for a 120G tank? all i have on it is 2 HOT magnums 250, i was looking to upgrade cause my tank is always looking a little bit cloudy

i have never used or seen a talk with one used, so all your help would be great thanks, wade

Last edited by wsharp; 07-18-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Buddy has a G6...Always having issues. A quick amazon search, and you'll be explained the constant problems. The Fx5/6 had issues with micro bubbles, traced back to a seal.

Mine is working great.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i was thinking i was gona go with the fx6 seeing as all of those filters are just about the same price give or take about $20

but i just wanted more insite and reviews from people on here to see what you guys/gals had to think about them

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don' have a Fluval so I can't comment on them. I am currently running a Rena xp3 on a 125g and love it. Quiet and lots of room for media. Has great flow and comes with several options like spray bar and such. Was running 2 HOT magnums and it was a constant chore to keep the filters working at peak performance (cleaning every other week) vs. cleaning once every couple of months with the Rena.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will keep that in consideration... ive never used a rena before, is that all ur using? or still both hot magnums as well??

Last edited by wsharp; 07-14-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: cant spell right on my iphone
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone else using any of these big filters?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using the rena xp3 for filtration and 2 powerheads with sponges to help with circulation. So far it is working out great.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Had a G6 and a G3 for years. Never had a problem with either. Great filters. Very reliable, very easy to maintain. The pre-filter is likely to clog on a heavily planted tank quickly. Mine needs to be changed weekly, which takes 2 minutes to do. I have multiple cartridges and just replace when necessary and clean the old one when I get around to it. Flow stays high, water crystal clear.

For full maintenance, it's easier than the XP, or Eheim 2076 that I had previously because the gasket seats much more securely and the locks are much more positive and sturdy than other canisters.

The G3 Pre-filter is only changed once every 4-6 months. It's a less heavily planted tank, but still has a heavy fish load. No problems ever.

The only challenge with the G6 for your application is throughput. I think it would be borderline fir a 120. Having said that, a single canister of any kind is borderline for a heavily loaded 120. My G6 has more flow than the equivalent Rena and Eheim because flow is always at max since the pre-filter is so easy to maintain. In the other, traditional designs, the filters clog gradually over time, So flow is below max most of the time.

FX5/6 would be good, but they are big, heavy filters to lift out of a cabinet while full of water. Not so easy to maintain. The Gs are fast and easy compared to all equivalent models.

You might want to consider a sump for large capacity and ease of maintenance.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Interesting thread. Owned a fx5 on my 125 for about 4 years. Had the micro bubble problem so finally I tinkered with everything, including taking off the motor and cleaning the impeller, big mistake. After that it was noisy as hell. So I tinkered more. Eventually the thing died. I read that if you don't put the motor back on exactly it will do what happened to me above. That was 6 months ago. Got a sunsun and imo its a peice of crap. I've been complimating what to do next. I've been thinking about a Rena but afraid it's just going to be like a SunSun. I liked the filtering of the fx5 did but afraid of repeating history.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

any other input on a good filter for a120 gallon tank??
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
A sump.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Algae Grower

Ive had a FX5 for years and the no probs on the 150G. Ive pulled the motor/ impeller out and back in no problem. Was thinking of replacing the impeller just because its 3 yrs old not but thats just general maintenance stuff. Cleaning is easy enough but i only clean the sponge as required. Had a resun and they should be called crappy leaking filter. Just bought a 2nd hand 2217 for the Peppermint Bristlenose tank because they have a good wrap.

Faux Fashion Statement
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i would sump but what size tank would i need for this? and i dont know anything about sumps and dont want to spend a poop tons on one...

more info on sumps would be sweet

Last edited by wsharp; 07-17-2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: idk
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

would a 29G tank be big enough for a sump on this tank??
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had 2 Rena xp3 on my 125 but had some dead spots so I replaced it with a FX5 and made a DIY spray bar to go the whole length of the tank , no more dead spots and tank is always clear.

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode