Buying plants online - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Buying plants online

Hi. I'm looking to buy some plants online and I was wondering where a good place to do that would be. I'm looking for a place that is inexspensive, has quality plants, and has a variety. Anyone know a really good place? Or a place to avoid? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
here.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most of the plants I have or have had in the past year I bought here. Great store here! Good "clerks", good shipping department, good quality merchandise, all-around good place to shop. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/

Hoppy

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 AM
nvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium planten en toebehoren koopt u bij Aquaplantsonline good and lotts of plants. it's only in dutch. but if you ask "rob" something by e-mail hes will help you very fast.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:08 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have ordered from:

Aquariumplants.com
Aquabotanic
AquaSpotworld.com (HUGE selection)

I can recommend all three!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
pbohard,

I see that you ordered from AquaSpotworld.com...how were your plants when they arrived and what is their customer service like...I'm thinking about taking them up on the sale that they've got going on right now...how long did it take to reach you and did you have to pay the extra $15 for overnight shipping in addition to the regular shipping charge??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
styxx; no plant vendor requires overnight shipping, only live fish vendors may.
plants will easily make even a 4 day trip, especially now that USA is colder.

Amo; I was happy with the plants from the following vendors;
Aquatic Plant Depot (cheap shipper, generous portions, narrow selection)
Arizona Aquatic Gardens (expensive shipper, wide selection and live fish)
I used them 6 Months ago. since then I plant trade with other PTF members.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I've ordered from Dr Foster and Smith and the plants were in good shape. I've ordered from Aquaspot and the plants were, dead, stinking and brown. Come to think of it, I didn't receive the promised refund for those either and not for lack of trying. Oh well..........The best plants I've bought online by far were from other members here. I've made 3 purchases within the the last couple of months. All arrived in great shape and are alive and well as we speak.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've ordered here and got great results. I've also ordered from Aquariumplants.com and had awesome plants. They are in SD and I'm in Mn so I could order ground and I received the order less than 36 hours after ordering it.

Jackie
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Styxx1 -

Regarding Aquaspot world...

I ordered Limnophila Aromatica, Pogostemon Eustralis, and Riccia. The Riccia was fine and is pearling beautifully.

THe LA and PE are strange. The plants I got look NOTHING like what I expected (i.e. what you would find on the plantgeeks encyclopedia). I asked the guys at ASW and they told me that they ship the plants in their emerged form - but once you submerge them they will convert back to what I was expected. Furthermore - Robert form Aquabotanic (an EXCELLENT online retailer) told me that what the Asian nursery's call LA is a differnt plant than what the US hobby refers to as LA (I always thought science was science regardless of continent...but oh well).

Anyway - it has been about a week now and both plants are growing, but neither look like LA or PE...but, I dont think ASW gyped me...I think what they though was LA and PE were just different plants than we do (????)?

Other than that - the plants arrived quickly and were well packaged and alive. When I wrote the letter to inquire about the wrong plants their customer service people were friendly, responsive, and very helpful.

Thanks!

Patric
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
One other place (besides here) is to check out sales from lowcoaster on Aquabid.

Has nice plants for good prices and is a true gentleman to deal with.
Also, Due to a change in thanksgiving plans I had sent him an e-mail Sunday night at 10 pm for an oprder that was going to be shipped Monday first thing, and he's holding off till next Monday.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I agree...either swap and shop, or Lowcoaster on aquabid.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:20 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have bought plants from aquariumplants.com and have been very satified with them!! They have recently gone up on the shipping prices though.

If you are going to buy plants online though, make sure you are gonna buy alot of them. If you are just setting up a tank, an need to stuff it with plants. The shipping charges just doesn't make sense for the couple a plants here an there.

Better buyin from TPT if you are looking for the specific plants, or a couple of plants here an there....

Lowcoaster is also good on aquabid, has excellent plants, an low shipping costs.

Most retailers on line will rake you with the shipping costs!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
The swap N' shop on this forum is by far one of the best places to get plants I've found. It has to be the busiest plant-related classifieds I've ever seen, and with the widest selection of plants from the biggest group of people that generally just want to share what they have with others, just for the joy of the hobby.

Besides the hobbyists here, there are other hobbyists out there as well. When you network a bit with other hobbyists and develop relationships, it seems as though there is always a buddy that owes you one and has the plant(s) you're looking for.

Unless you need plants on a very large scale, the above is the way to go, IMO.

Otherwise, I've heard good things about aquariumgardens.com ( priority mail shipping), and I'm familiar with Lowcoaster on AB and it always did appear to me that he had reasonably priced plants with reasonable shipping. I think I ordered a few Alternanthera reineckii from him when I was still relatively new to the hobby.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
here's a somewhat provocative question for moderators;

does the swap N' shop ever interfere with vendor sponsorship of this sight?
does buyyourwaterplantshere.com ever complain they can't make a living
off members here cause they keep trading plants with each other instead
of buying from their website? or does the overall awareness gained from
this sight become a driving force of sales for a sponsor plant resellers?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode