Swords not so sharp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Swords not so sharp

I once enjoyed two huge, healthy swords (bleheri) in my tank. They were no less than 18 inches each and were a thing to behold. But recently they have reduced to mere skeletons (litterally). They are almost 1/4 the size and the leaves are nothing more than a skeletal-like structure with no tissue between the leaf veins. The new leaves are browning and fall apart in my fingers.

All the other plants are well.

Is this a similar thing to 'crypt rott'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
How about some more information? CO2, pressurized or DIY? Fertilizers - which ones and how much how often? How long are the lights on each day?

Hoppy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Swords love fert tabs placed just under their roots,you will see a big improvement.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Agreed with distrbd....FLouish root tabs are good, and I got this ADA Iron bottom tab and my root feeders love it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Root tabs were installed two weeks ago-no improvement. Lights are on for 10.5 hours; ferts are dosed as per:

10ml fe 3xweek
1/4(tspn) ks204 3xweek
1 kno3 3xweek
1/4 ks2po4 3xweek
15ml traces 3xweek

Co2 @ 35ppm

All test readings are status quo excluding phosphates which have been a little on the high side as of late (5.0-6.0).

I also should have mentioned earlier that I am currently getting over a small bout of 'cloudy water' (ammonia spike).

any more thoughts guys?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
looks good to me....give the root tabs time. It will not change the existing leaves, it will affect the new ones. You may have to prune those away as they start to look ratty.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your trace dosing looks to be on the light side. What I try to shoot for is a minimum 1ml/gal/week when dosing Flourish or TMG. So try dosing 30ml 3x a week.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You do not have a pleco or some other potential plant eater, do you? Just asking the obvious to get it out of the way...

I too think giving time for the plant to get to the root tabs should do the trick.
If not, then the problem might that the growing point of the plant has gotten disturbed or even in the process of dying. The last drastic action - when nothing else seems to help - is to dig the plants up, take out all the leaves and the roots too, leave the rhizome lying on top of the substrate and wait for the new growth. A less severe move would be a heavy trim: picking the plants up, trimming the roots to about 4 inches (removing all the bad ones) and removing all the decaying leaves.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I'll try upping the traces a bit and hope for the best, man this really sucks. If all else fails then I might have to do what Daniel says.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Although you didn't mention it, again just to get the obvious out of the way:

Have you done anything significantly different lately?

The only two times I had large swords disintegrate quickly were when I battled algae problems. The first time (I was new, starting my first tank with the accompaning learning curve ) I yanked alot of plants and gave them a 5% bleach dip for 1-2 min. A few days after the swords were back in the tank they started breaking up. I learned some plants do fine with this method - others not. The swords did regrow new leaves but I pretty much lost all established foliage.

The next time, it was another algae war, I tried out the Excel Overdosing Algae Blitz. It worked very well for the most part, but along with the expected injuries to my Vals and Ricca, the Swords again suffered. I might have been okay if I stayed with the 2x or 2.5x OD, but I used 3x the regular amounts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Dunno, could have smoething to do with the "cloudy water" I had, that's all I can think of.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode