old leaves 'disintegrating' too fast. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
old leaves 'disintegrating' too fast.

All of a sudden I've got all the old leaves in my tank getting holes, very uniformly, between the veins, generally starting near the tips of the leaves then progressing until the entire leaf is basically a seive about a week or two later. All parameters and nutrients appear to be in their proper ranges.

This isn't just a case of a few leaves getting old, but a wholesale loss of about 1/2 the leaves in the tank, primarily on various swords and aponogonetons, but most of the rest of the plants too. Meanwhile, new growth is great, but good thing or there would be nothing left at all.

Any solutions? Thanks if you can help.

Bruce

135 gal, 28 deg C., pH 6.5, Kh 4, 392w PC, pressurized CO2, 8 discus, 3 clown loach, 3 congo tetra, 2 bristlenose pleco, 2 farlowella.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
So many questions....

1. When an what are you dosing
2. How much light do you have, how long is photo period.
3. A pic would really help.

For the swords, you might consider puttin fert tabs a couple of inches under the roots. I usually use half a jobe stick for each plant. Just make sure you have the swords placed where ya want them. Pulling them up with the massive roots they get will pull the tabs up with them, an cause a lot of problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-boi View Post
2 bristlenose pleco
Sorry but there is your problem.

At night, when everyone is asleep, quietly approach your tank and listen... you might hear a "shrubshrubshrub" sort of noice. That will be a bristlenose that found there wasn't enough algae to fill the stomach, and figured sword plant tissue is just as tasty.

At least they don't do THAT to your plants:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...son-learn.html

Solution is quite simple... Sell them bristlenoses, give them to someone, convince yourself that your swords now look like Madagascar lace plants and you like that, or switch to stemplants only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nope, I don't think it's the bristlenoses...

Thanks folks.

I don't think the bristlenoses are the problem based on their being in there over a year, there's still algae available to them, it happened too rapidly to be them, and it's happening to stem plants as well (just more obvious on the leafy swords).

N is kept at 10, P at 1, K not measured but is added weekly.
Light is 4x96w PC, two on for 10 hours, all four on for the middle six hours.

Sorry no photo is available, but the leaves really do look a lot like lace plants before they finally die off.

Any other hints for me?
Thanks. Cheers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
It's probably the clown loaches. My clown loaches make holes in my plants as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Mark, I had the same problem... Overnight one of them figured out that there was a lot of food around.

Good luck with fertilizing though.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 08:09 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Mark, I had the same problem... Overnight one of them figured out that there was a lot of food around.

Good luck with fertilizing though.
You could very well be right Wasser...I dont know much about bristle nose pleco's. I have never had one, or any pleco for that matter in a planted tank.

I was leaning towards the dosing, or lighting since he was saying that its only on the older leaves, an pretty much the same on most of the plants through out his tank.

I have a similar problem with a couple sword plants. No old leaves, but wont hi jack the thread with this issue.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Hi

Hi yep my sowrds look the same from my bristle noses. Oh and to add to your problem you have clown loaches unless you get rid of these fish your sowrds will die no matter what you do to them. SORRY

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:29 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do the leaves turn yellow? If swords a short of N and probably other things, the old leaves will die and new ones will keep coming but the energy to grow the new leaves is stolen from the old ones and they die.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
My money is on a shortage of K look here

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode