How do I get an uneven surface like this for a carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I get an uneven surface like this for a carpet?

I'm thinking of doing a full HC carpet and was checking out some photos online to get ideas of how to 'scape and what other plants go well. I'm thinking of using a couple wysteria, moneywort, and stargrass for a look similar to what's in this photo. I just would like to know what they did to get the bottom of the tank like that. Is it rocks? HC somehow attached to them? Piled up substrate? I don't know. I also need to know what to do about African dwarf frogs in a full carpeted tank.

Also, my substrate is 100% Floramax. Will the HC even take root and stay in place or do I need to mix some black sand in with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Most of the time I see people make hills with the substrate and rocks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like substrate is simply built up behind the rocks, and allowed to spill over naturally. With a dry start the roots will also help "lock" the substrate in place.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That particular tank looks like its using a very porous rock like lace rock to grow the HC on. Yes, it will grow on rocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Planted Member

Or you could fill a stocking with gravel and use that.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaStErFiShKeEps View Post
Or you could fill a stocking with gravel and use that.
That's not a bad idea.

This guy has a good idea too. He uses something like fishing line to tie the pot to a rock. Then just set the rock in the tank.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
That's not a bad idea.

This guy has a good idea too. He uses something like fishing line to tie the pot to a rock. Then just set the rock in the tank.

How To: Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC) dwarf baby tears - YouTube
That will work but its used more commonly for plants that are natural floaters. A dsm would be more effective for ground cover. Not only that but with the dsm, ground cover grows and fills in alot faster. Also there are several tricks to use to build up the landscape to get that hill look. To name a couple, Aquasoil is about the best substrate that holds hills alone. Lava rock underneath and capping with your choice of substrate is another. Outside of Aquasoil, keep the substrate depth in mind if your using nothing but substrate without any props.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Porous lava stones, say 1-2" dia you can smash ADA AS into, then do the wabi kusa style method, works for most plants this way.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just put 5 lbs of black sand on top of the Floramax. I just poured it on top for now but figure it'll mix together over the next few days. I've got some rescaping to do with the plants I'm keeping tomorrow so I'll stir it up a bit. I'm hoping the light mixture will give the tears more to grab onto. I have some old river rocks that I'm going to break with a hammer. A couple 4 or 5 inch round rocks broken in half should do the trick to make a valley that flows from the back left of the tank to the center with that corner being higher than the front. Sort of like the above photo. I'm not going to order my HC until my T5HO shows up next week. It, my new dry fert, and my API master test kit all shipped today.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have used Eco complete to create mounts. It's rough enough not to "slip" under its own weight.

Nikon Pimp #82

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode