Grr... Someone dumped WAY too much food into my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs down Grr... Someone dumped WAY too much food into my tank

I have a tank at work and I came in this morning to find flake food covering EVERYTHING in the tank. Someone dumped in a ridiculous amount of food between the time I left yesterday evening and got in this morning. The tank is a new setup too. Just about two weeks old. The nitrite level finally subsided on Monday, only to now have to worry about what a spike this will cause. I'll guess I'll be doing a 50% water change, but I won't have time until after hours.

Bleh.... just venting. Guess I'll have to lock up the food or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
put your flake food in this sort of spice jar.
this prevents amateurs from overfeeding.

sugar and syrup dispensers work well too.

I don't know if you can still get this,
but these type of "menu" jars have
a rotating cap with a small hole for
dispensing food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I run into the same problem at my office. I find that it helps to keep the food at my desk and have a little pillcase that I can fill up with a weekly dosage and keep that near the tank. That way, at the worst, they can only put in a weeks worth (and that's only on Monday).

It is frustrating though! I had someone monkey with my CO2 before - that was NOT good.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I actually use a spice jar to prevent my own "oops". Still, I'd rather hide the food altogether than use one at work.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Do a big WC and get as much of the food out as possible before it starts to decompose in your tank. Of course, you've probably done it already. =)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
Why are people messing with your stuff? I'd be getting payback, either aircraft stripper sprayed onto their car or deleting the C drive on their computer. I can't stand when people mess with stuff that doesn't belong to them and the fact that they're full grown adults in an office buidling makes it only worse.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:38 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my old roommate...notice i say OLD!!! roommate!!! he he...dude, it's seriously time for you to get even!!! ha ha!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
every office seems to adapt a different territorial etiquette.
for example, in an office i share with 100 other people,
anything in your desk drawer is considered private,
(even if the drawer is kept unlocked)
while anything else laying around becomes fair game.
often it's not your office mates that touch your stuff,
rather it's the over night cleaning crew.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:45 PM

im fortunate enough to have an office with just one other person, and we have a cleaning lady who comes in every other day, but she does it during office hours. so have never had to worry about that, but I know what you're saying...I say you give them something to clean up...if you know what im sayin'
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

LOL, Im blue collar so I have no office but, that's probably a good thing because I wouldn't last long anywhere if I had to deal with people constantly messing with my personal belongings, it's not like I could hide my tank in my desk drawer.

ikaikah- I know exactly what you mean about roommates, I had the same problem with mine old roommates and one of them even shot my cat with an airsoft gun for fun, this is a girl Im talking about too, hehehehe we got her back good though

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those ideas all. I intend to look for some of those jars and pillcases as those seem like good ideas.

I'm a Teacher/Computer Tech. at a Junior High School. The 10g tank is in my office with the computers servers and switches/routers. The office is locked at all times and the only people who have access at night are the custudial staff. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, so no payback necessary. They're a bunch of nice old ladies who stop in and look at the tank all throughout the day. I'll just have to show them that 5 Neon Tetras don't need 10 tablespoons of food at a time!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

Wellll, good to know it wasn't someone trying to be mean and you know how old ladies love to feed people and apparently fish. I remember visiting my sister's filipino mother in law as a child and I always felt like I was being fattened up. haha.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridS130 View Post
LOL, Im blue collar so I have no office but, that's probably a good thing because I wouldn't last long anywhere if I had to deal with people constantly messing with my personal belongings, it's not like I could hide my tank in my desk drawer.

ikaikah- I know exactly what you mean about roommates, I had the same problem with mine old roommates and one of them even shot my cat with an airsoft gun for fun, this is a girl Im talking about too, hehehehe we got her back good though
What did you guys do?1 im interested in that! what a.....well i don't want to call anyone names, but the CAT?!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Planted Member

We went too far and that's all I'll say, she ended up moving out there after muahahahaha.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Ok now I have a reason to be mad.

Someone stole plants out of my tank!

I haven't aquascaped the tank yet. I've just been throwing bunched stem cuttings from home in here as I gather up enough to build a scape. Well not only did someone yesterday dump in a bunch of flake food, but they took all my R. Rotundifolia! My favorite stem plant in the tank so far! WTF?!?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode