What should i use in my filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
What should i use in my filter?

I just got a new magnum 350 canister filters and I was wondering if I should use the standard activated charcoal? Is there something better to use then this? Thanks~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
charcoal will remove a lot of minerals that your plants will need.
most here use Seachem Purigen packs instead of carbon as it
removes toxins while leaving the mineral balance intact.
not using carbon, or even an ammonia sponge media in your filter
is the major departure you make from a fish only tank, to a
fish with live plants tank. welcome to the planted side...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It depends on your tank.

Purigen is good stuff, but I would not recommend on this type of filter as there would be no place to fit it AND biological media.

You see the biggest challenge with the filter that you have chosen is that it has very little filtration capacity (as far as media goes).

If you are just setting up the tank for the first time I would recommend putting activated carbon in there with the foam sleeve over that. Just leave the carbon in there. It will absorb harmfull Ammonia as the tank cycles and by the time it is exhausted it will make great Biomedia for Nitrifying bacteria that will establish over time.

If this is an established tank get some Seachem matrix and put it in there instead of the carbon and call it a day.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
magicmagni, are you familiar with Magnum filters? There technically isnt any bio media. There is a place for some carbon (or whatever) and then a fliter sleave, thats it. I would say add the purigen and call it good.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
You get some element of biologic filtration from the sleeve itself as long as you dont wash it in chlorinated water when you do filter maintenance. Biologic filtration is overrated in my opinion. Think about all the surface area you have in your gravel, hardscape, plants, and anything else in the tank for bacteria to grow in. I had a magnum i was very happy with, i ran carbon in the media compartment and had good luck with it, some say it removes important minerals, but i'd like to see research backing that up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
magicmagni, are you familiar with Magnum filters? There technically isnt any bio media. There is a place for some carbon (or whatever) and then a fliter sleave, thats it. I would say add the purigen and call it good.
Yes I have used them since 1987.

You have two options. You can use the "media basket" for lack of a better term (forget what they call it) or you can use the micron sleeve filter. Generally the filter floss "rite size" filter sleeve goes over either of the two. The bio Media can go into the little basket. The reason I don't recommend Purigen for this filter is that purigen makes poor biological media in the long term whereas carbon is excellent in this reguard. Better yet is matrix. This would be the best choice since the media capacity is so small on this filter. The matrix will maximize this limited capacity with it's very high surface area.

Alternatively the biowheel attachment can be used and then carbon or better yet purigen in the filter, but if Co2 is being injected you waste a bit with the biowheel splashing, but it can work I suppose.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmagni View Post
Yes I have used them since 1987.

You have two options. You can use the "media basket" for lack of a better term (forget what they call it) or you can use the micron sleeve filter. Generally the filter floss "rite size" filter sleeve goes over either of the two. The bio Media can go into the little basket. The reason I don't recommend Purigen for this filter is that purigen makes poor biological media in the long term whereas carbon is excellent in this reguard. Better yet is matrix. This would be the best choice since the media capacity is so small on this filter. The matrix will maximize this limited capacity with it's very high surface area.

Alternatively the biowheel attachment can be used and then carbon or better yet purigen in the filter, but if Co2 is being injected you waste a bit with the biowheel splashing, but it can work I suppose.
What is the matrix filter media that you mention?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
matrix refers to seachem's version of carbon, which comes in 3mm size balls that don't expel much dust, and last much longer than typical carbon. there is also seachem matrix media, which are basically small stones used for growing bacteria in your filter. kind of silly for seachem to use the same name twice...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekj03 View Post
What is the matrix filter media that you mention?
The Matrix THE MATRIX TRILOGY

Just kidding

Sea chem Matrix Matrix
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
matrix refers to seachem's version of carbon, which comes in 3mm size balls that don't expel much dust, and last much longer than typical carbon. there is also seachem matrix media, which are basically small stones used for growing bacteria in your filter. kind of silly for seachem to use the same name twice...

Yeah same name twise different product.

I guess it just sounds cool. I don't know.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:43 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cool, I saw that matrix stuff online and thought it sounded good so figured I'd try it. Glad to hear some other folks think its decent, and I wasnt ripped off by marketing stratagies lol. Just went in the tank yesterday. Actually I just posted about it on another forum.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I like the seachem stuff in general. I've used the Matrix biomedia. Also the Eheim Effi somthing or another (the little round coco-puff looking balls) work well too. Basically anything with a good amount of surface area does the trick for bio-media, heck you can get some valcanic rock for check and that works well too. Add a little bit of mulm from an established tank and your done.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode