Some questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some questions

Just wanted to throw out a few questions. I am getting ready to start up a new planted tank soon..I have it filled with flourite and water and some interesting driftwood.
Should a tank be fully cycled before adding plants into it? Could I add plants and a fish for cycling and start from there?
I also did some initial testing of my tap water supply. The Gh was less than 1 degree from the tap after aging overnight and the KH was about 12 degrees w/ a Ph of around 7.5 or so. What is optimal for plants? Is this KH acceptable? I will also be adding CO2 via a red sea kit...the DIY one w/ the air pump diffuser.
I also have seachem acid/alkaline buffers if I should look at altering the water chemistry. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh yeah! I also was wondering about filters...should I go w/ an aquaclear hang on or a eheim powerball?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I can only help you with the first part of your question. Yes, add as many fast growing plants as possible. Add a couple fish that you don't mind loosing. only add a small fish or two once a week to give everything time to adjust.

You might want to give more details of your tank size etc for others to help you more.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If your going to have a planted tank, I would highly recommend a canister filter. Better for keeping your c02 in the water.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
HI. your tank should have plants in it as it is being cycled, as the plants help the process. I would wait about a week before adding one hardy fish, say a zebra danio, after a few mor days of it being alive, I would slowely add more fish. What size tank is it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is a 16 gallon bowfront. I have an aquaclear powerfilter but I am looking at other possible options. I know the aquaclear will generate some turbulance as the water evaporates a bit. I will be using an Orbit 2X40 watt CFL lighting fixture also.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you load the tank up with fast growing plants and provide nutrients for the plants you can add the fish from day one. And they are not going to be disposable fish either. Read the cycling section of my Guide. And with that much light over your tank you had better have CO2 going. Otherwise you are going to end up with problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Don't buy the Red sea biosystem kit, its a waste of money. If you are dead set on getting one I'll sell you mine for like $20 I think they cost $40 retail, stupid ammount.

now If you really don't want to do 100% DIY CO2 I would recomend the other one on the market... cant think of the name hageon or something?

have fun with the tank! And welcome to the board!

- Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode