What they neglect to mention in the Python owners manual... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face What they neglect to mention in the Python owners manual...

This might be my screwup....

I bought myself a python today and was enjoying my first bucket-free, mess-free water change when all hell broke loose.

I had finished vaccuming and draining and was switching to fill mode... ok... close the valve at the far end... go to the sink... set the water temp... change it to fill mode... head back to the tank... open the valve... hmmm no water coming out... go back to the kitchen.... OH MY GOD!!!

Looks like the threads aren't as strong as I thought they were... the fill/drain adapter had blown itself off of the faucet, landing on the floor, and high pressure water (from the hose no less) was spraying onto the ceiling!

From now on I'm going to make sure the hose is in the tank and the valve is open before switching from drain to fill mode.

It still beats buckets...

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Yeah, I pretty much never use that other valve unless it's an emergency. In fact, the only time I think I've used it was when I was moving the tank and wanted to keep a good portion of the water and mulm and needed to fill the buckets for the fish, so I stopped the water flow from the tank for just a couple of seconds to change buckets.

The threads are pretty notorious for stripping too. I have 2 extra assemblies waiting for when I can't get those threads to hold any more.

But yeah, you're right, much better thank buckets...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've used that valve a few times. Generally its when I want to stop flow to the tank immediately, without having to walk over to the sink and shut it off. Maybe it depends on pressure of individual sinks/water pumps, but mine leaks a little bit on the seams, but its never burst and still works ok. I'll probably switch it out for a brass thread eventually, but it works right now, so I'm not in a hurry. Sorry to hear about your mishap

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

I have used mine for 5 years now, and the only problem I have had is the white adapter that hooks up to the faucet. I went to Home Depot and bought a metal adapter. No problems since.

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just removed the valve.
*I just did not trust the connectors.
*I also tossed the siphon part as it keeps going if the drain is above the tank level and leaks during refilling.
*Now I fill from the hose (no tricky plastic adapter to worry about)
*And I replaced the tubing with 5/8" ID

So I guess all I have left from the "python" is just the adapter from the hose to the plastic tube

But I was wondering if a pressure regulator for household water lines is easy to incorporate. If the pressure was lower I would trust the python valve again which would be quite useful...

I guess it would look like this:
Jabsco Water Pressure Regulator - 444110045 - BoatersWorld.com

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If your household water pressure is to high, you can close your main water valve just a little to bring your pressure down. But if you need more pressure for your outside watering etc then this won't work. You can also turn down the water pressure under your sink if you have a valve down there.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
For the Record--Turning the valve won't effect pressure, just flow.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM

I agree with Naja002,
Turning down the valve will not reduce the pressure. If you turned it down enough you could reduce the "Pressure impact" but you would have to restrict flow a lot, by say 90%.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
I have both the metal adapter and the plastic. (both from python) the metal one works soooooooooooo much better. the plastic one was crap from the first time I used it. The plastic one also dosen't fit the faucet in my bathroom.
the little valve. next to worthless. I've used it a couple times but found that the pressure that builds up makes water shoot from weird places in the big fill/drain adapter.
So I try not to use it unless totally nessacarry.
One thing that annoys me is they didn't make a mini python adapter for the smaller python tubes. So I had to custom make mine. (didn't work to well trying to use the 20" tube on my 20L.)

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dumb question...Do pythons only fill from tap water?
Any way to hook it up to an RO reservoir?

65 gal planted - Rams
120 gal planted- Discus
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos5000 View Post
Dumb question...Do pythons only fill from tap water?
Any way to hook it up to an RO reservoir?
Well, the thing that makes a Python a Python is the venturi pump. Without that, it's just a bunch of tubing and whatnot. You need your faucet to power the venturi for the "clean", i.e. drain, part of "No Spill Clean & Fill". Not sure what you're getting at with the RO reservoir question. You don't want to drain your tank water into your reservoir. If you want to fill your tank with RO water from your reservoir you'll need a pump, not a Python.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
So the "Fill" part of "clean and fill" refers to filling the tank back up with tap water?

I need a pump.

65 gal planted - Rams
120 gal planted- Discus
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
I need a pump.
Yes, unless its in a position to be siphoned....

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
My python only came with a brass sink fitting so I havent had any problems. Then again i dont turn my faucet all the way on either, maybe half way. I have tried using that valve before and noticed the unit spraying around the seams. I'd just take an old towel and drape it over the end of the tap/python assembly and that would prevent the spray from leaving the sink. I dont really use the shutoff anymore though, just walk over to the sink and shut it off there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode