Couple of begginer questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Couple of begginer questions

Hi all,

I bought my tank setup this past Saturday, and have have been fixing the aquarium plan to the proper setup for plants. I've been reading Rex's guide, I changed substrate to flourite early Monday morning, and I'm trying to make everything right.

One thing I'm running into is, that as I go, I have to rebuy everything. First the lights, and now I have the bio-filter that I read is no good on Rex's guide (highly, highly recommened by the LFS). Can I live with the bio-wheel? I doubt I can take it back...

The other thing is my empty tank. I won't have my lights until this Friday, and I won't have the glass top for my tank until Saturday afternoon (my bad on the lights, and backorder issue for the top). So my tank is sitting there full of water, filter running, in the dark.

Should I be doing anything with my tank right now? I was just going to wait until the weekend, when I have all my stuff, to really get started.

I also have access to a co2 tank and regulator for free, so I was going to add co2 as well. There is so much going on my head right now, that I don't mind waiting until the weekend to get things rolling, but I just want to check if it's ok to leave my tank as it is for several days. I have no idea where I'm getting plants from yet or how many I can afford to start with, and I'm tired of making very expensive mistakes, so I was just going to forget about it for a couple of days and read.

I usually trust well established local hobby stores for all my needs. I'm into nitro-rc cars and related modifications to them, and have never been steered wrong with my LHS. It seems that level of expertise didn't carry over to my LFS. It's my fault after all that I made a purchase without all the info I needed, but it's certainly a (sickningly expensive) lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcome,
Rex's guide is a great place to start (helped me out).
We are going to need a lot more info about what you have. Tank size, lighting info, filter size, etc....
If you are not adding CO2, the bio-wheel is fine. If you are going to add CO2, you can just remove the wheel from the filter itself, and keep the tank full to avoid surface ripples.
Depending on how much light you might have to add CO2, and with acess to a tank, and regulator, dont do DIY. Heck Even if you have a lowlight, extra CO2 won't hurt in proper doses.

Take your time, wait on things. Yes it's exciting setting up a new tank, but like you already said, mistakes can be expensive. Most of us have done that.
Use the Search on the forums, there are a lot of answers here. Didn't find the answer to your question, post the question.

Otherwise there is really nothing you can or should do to your tank right now.
BTW, you may want to drain out some (or most) of your water when you do your big planting to make it easier on yourself.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks tazcrash69,

I have a 50gal breader tank 36x18x18, an emporer 280 filter, and 2 1x96watt light kits from ahsupply (I think I'm getting around a 6k bulb and a 10k bulb) comming Friday. the co2 stuff I'll probably have this weekend, although I'm still reading on that. I was going to go DIY on the co2, but a friend of mine has plenty of co2 equipment just laying around.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No problem.

BTW, nice dimmensions on the tank.
If you are going to have both lights, that is a lot of light, you will need CO2. DIY will get you CO2 into the tank, but not at the same ppm or at the same consitancy level as pressurized. Could cause algae problems later with that much light.

It's difficult to work on a tank that is full of water, and worst when it has livestock.

BTW, you are going to have to look into building or buying a CO2 reactor now.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I read about draining the tank 1/3 to 1/2 when planting, is it ok to do that with livestock in the tank? I imagine I will try to schedule tank work around water changes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

draining 50 - 75% of the water is ok, I do it.
If you do unplanting or plant moves, you stir up debris, and want to drain that out.

Do you have livestock in there now?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Nope, no livestock yet.

It sounds like a planted tank will go through alot of water draining and filling. Thats already getting old for me. :-O
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:52 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I change about 75 or 80 percent of my water once a week...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76 View Post
I change about 75 or 80 percent of my water once a week...
You can't be serious, or you have a small tank. My back is torqued from lugging and dumping all the buckets.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ahh.... Get or build a Python. Buckets are great for 5-10 gallon tanks. Beyond that the Python rules.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edacsac View Post
You can't be serious, or you have a small tank. My back is torqued from lugging and dumping all the buckets.
Buy a siphon of some sort, Python's will attach right to any faucet. Filling and water changes will become almost FUN! Their around 35.00$ for a 25' length, so their not that pricey.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I would have stopped water changes.

Get the python, or build your own system.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I've been reading about python accidents, and I'm not sure I want one. People seem to laugh it off when they soak their carpet, hardwood floor, couch, etc, but thats not good at all.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:52 PM

If your carefull and quick there won't be any mishaps. If you don't leave it preasurized for more than a few seconds, the time it takes to walk from the tank to the sink, there shouldn't be a problem.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I use 6 gallon jugs to fill the tank....when I drain the tank I just stick the hose out the window and let it drain....I have a 55 gal tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode