AGA Aquascaping Contest 2006 - Your assessment of entries - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Are this year's entries generally:
Better than prior year's? 13 36.11%
Worse than prior year's? 9 25.00%
About the same? 9 25.00%
Not sure... 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
AGA Aquascaping Contest 2006 - Your assessment of entries

So the contest results have been posted. Yahoo! And I'm curious about what people think. I'm not interested in comments on individual entries. Just on your sense about the direction the of the quality of the entries this year, in general.

Are things getting better? Worse? More competitive? Less?

I've got an opinion, but I'm curious about what you think.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
More competition from overseas..lots more. We need more people to get involved.

While the ratio of "good" to "needs more work" tanks is increasing in the US, if contest entries are a metric, we are still behind.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
I was really surprised that there was not as many Biotope Aquascape and Paludarium this year.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
i didnt notice any degree of innovation to be honest. it seems like the same old same old over and over...i dont know--i think too many are trying to mimic, replicate, recreate, or reconstitute the same old designs..the same old layouts.

I was not refreshed in the least. Actually a little disappointed...not becuase the entries werent beautiful aquariums, most were, but that the artistry seems to have evaporated away.

I look at aquascaping in 2 ways:

either I conjur up a layout, with definitive plans, knowing exactly what plants I will use, etc. etc....and sticking to the plan all the way--

or

I start with a blank canvas...and I paint with plants--taking it step by step, without steps...figuratively speeking. Not trying to force fit plants, but to allow the plants to fit themselves. Nature has no 'big plan'...$h1t just falls where it may fall. Work with it instead of against it ya know?

there is a serious lack of the latter in this years contest it seems...but thats just my opinion.

what about you scolley? where do you stand?

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I feel the quality of the aquascapes were better this year. Although, something was bland about the overall contest. Don't get me wrong they were very impressive scapes. Agreed we need more U.S. entries.

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i didnt notice any degree of innovation to be honest. it seems like the same old same old over and over...i dont know--i think too many are trying to mimic, replicate, recreate, or reconstitute the same old designs..the same old layouts.
This was a discussion brought up by a few of us at AGA and the conclusion was that it is getting exponentially harder to come up with something "new"
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb416 View Post
To impress the same judges, it seems we need the same formulas: golden ratio, negative space, trimmed in a dome shape.....
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not sure entirely Sarah...it seemed to me like there were two "camps" of judges.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
This was a discussion brought up by a few of us at AGA and the conclusion was that it is getting exponentially harder to come up with something "new"
Tony, I think struggle is not to come up with something new, but to come up with something others will accept as "aquascaping"

Remember the comments about Oliver's use of tank ornaments? I thought they were refreshing, maybe not as "artfully" or "naturally" done, but they were at least different. In regards to biotopes, unless we see travelers pursue their interests as they visit rivers, lakes, etc in places *other* than malawi or thailand, the same rocky outcroppings or rooty growths will reappear in future competitions.

To foster the growth of American entries, I spoke with Eric about the possibility of creating intraclub and interclub competitions. Maybe an international competition is daunting, but surely constructive criticism from peers and club members would tempt shy aquascapers out of the woodwork.

Overall, I was not impressed that much with this years entries - at least, not to the extent that I was with previous years, but maybe I'm just jaded and my expectations are higher?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
My take on it.

there seemed to be alot more entries from the US. which is a good thing, brings more hope in making the hobby more mainstream if you will.

the tanks one a whole looked amazing. There were alot of great tanks in all sizes, the smallsizes were great this year. lots of entries.

The judgements seemed far. some of the winners seemed to cookie cutter. much like the other ones. but there are many very creative ideas and concepts to see.

the biotopes and palidruims or whatever were pretty lacking this year. the one pald. was real out there. i wouldnt even have called it a pald and the people had named all like 30 of their cardinals....O_o

one thing i did miss from this years, is there are no judge comments on the bottom of the pages. i like reading those to see what they have to say.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
Not sure entirely Sarah...it seemed to me like there were two "camps" of judges.
Hmmmm.... how so?

I'm pretty sure comments will be forthcoming. There's prolly just some lag in finishing touches.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:58 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I agree with the other Geoff. I really liked the judges comments. It keeps thing "clean" and someone can learn from the critique.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
I agree with the other Geoff. I really liked the judges comments. It keeps thing "clean" and someone can learn from the critique.
They are there, look again..

Craig

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
They are there, look again..
thats a new update since i last checked this afternoon. w00t. i take back my remark, horray for comments!!

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
I can see Gomer's comment about the concensus, unless you start doing aquarium topiary I can't think of too much "new" to try.

Sarah, I was thinking that an "interclub" competition would be a good addition to the contest. Now I wish I had submitted the suggestion earlier

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode