Anubias species progation question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
A little background info first. (a short story of how I tried to kill the Anubias and failed.)

I bought the Anubias for my aquarium a few years ago. It was about 4 inches long and about 2-3 inches tall. It was attached to a piece of driftwood, which I removed because I did not understand why it was attached. I then proceded to try and bury the roots completely in my aquarium. While, the plant was so buoyant, I was unsucessful in burying the roots completely. Which was fortunate for me. Over the years, I gave up trying to bury the anubias roots completely. Over the course, of that time. The roots, that I thought I was supposed to bury has grown roots of its own. Which is what Anubias is supposed to do. The plant has grown to be about 10 inches long and still remains 2-3 inches tall. 1 end has grown into a Y configuration. I have read and learned a little bit about the Anubias and I now know that the plant should be "attached" to something, wood or a rock. My quesiton is, is that I would like to somehow reproduce or cut the plant and attach the "new" section to a piece of driftwood and install it into my new aquarium. But how do I do that? The books that I own are sparse on information about how to do something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:11 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't attach Anubius plants to anything, but I can tell you that you can cut a section of the plant and it will take the punishment and keep growing. I haphazardly take sections of established plants without any problem. I would recommend that you take as large a piece as possible.

Hint or Tip: I have found that whenever I add iron to the water column every Anubius species I have puts up new leaves.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode