Missing - AGA 2006 Aquascascaping Contest results - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Missing - AGA 2006 Aquascascaping Contest results

Their web page says:

"Winners will be announced simultaneously on this website and at the AGA's 2006 Convention November 11th."

So it's the 12th now right? But no results posted.

Am I missing something? Are they just having too much fun in SanFran to post the results? I was kinda looking forward to this...

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley View Post
Their web page says:

"Winners will be announced simultaneously on this website and at the AGA's 2006 Convention November 11th."

Am I missing something? Are they just having too much fun in SanFran to post the results? I was kinda looking forward to this...
Scolley you should of just went to the convention.... but I bet they are just having too much fun..... time diffrences are four hours but that wouldn't mean much at this time... Maybe tomarrow?

can't wait to see how you and other forum members did

- Andrew
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Their web page says:

Is yer butt numb from sittin on those pins an needles?

Steve I feel for ya bud! I would be the same way waitin for the results! Especially with your tank in the mix!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
Ya know, I knew that if I posted this question that it would seem like it was because I thought I had a chance. But believe me, that is not my expectation. Go look at the pics that have won in the past... I'm way behind that in artistry. My mind still boggles at the magnificent tank PJAN won with last year.

No, I just want to see the entries, see how they treated biotopes this year, see what kind of tanks they favor now, and yes - I will naturally be interested in their comments on mine.

But I do wish they would get on with it. Or maybe I'm just having a slow weekend.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker View Post

Steve I feel for ya bud! I would be the same way waitin for the results! Especially with your tank in the mix!
It better place great!

on a side note I never really looked at results from last year for too long, noticed how few biotopes there where, can't wait to see this years results, I think I might set one up this year for next years contest, we will see. since I'm not a huge scaper.

- Andrew

haha you posted before I knew it... took too long lol

well,

Quote:
No, I just want to see the entries, see how they treated biotopes this year, see what kind of tanks they favor now, and yes - I will naturally be interested in their comments on mine.
Same here
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Ya know, I knew that if I posted this question that it would seem like it was because I thought I had a chance. But believe me, that is not my expectation. Go look at the pics that have won in the past... I'm way behind that in artistry. My mind still boggles at the magnificent tank PJAN won with last year.

But I do wish they would get on with it. Or maybe I'm just having a slow weekend.
Steve the reason ya posted this question, is because you know you have a chance! So does half the other people on this forum. The Discus tank you submitted in just under 3 years will stand above alot of others that have been submitting tanks for longer than a few of years!

It was an outstanding layout! The fish felt right at home, an for the last couple a years you have poured your heart an soul into this tank.

I can forsee at least a top 5!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can honestly say that watching the unveiling of the results, as well as hearing the judges say what went through their heads in the process of picking the winners, and hearing everyone's reactions to the results, were experiences that cannot compare to seeing it online.

You guys have about one year to plan to attend the next AGA conference
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Id I remember correctly there were some technical issues with access at the hotel. I know once they are posted it should make for some lively discussion, however, I think you'll need to wait until the webmaster gets home from San Francisco for them to be posted.

Or as Sarah said, start saving your pennies now to see them unfold live at next years AGA Convention.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

THEY ARE UP!!!!

also I can't wait to see if it is possible to get to for me this coming year, Would be a ton of fun, Just imagine seeing a 15 year old walking around talking about these tanks as well as most adults

Well I have to get viewing results!!

- Andrew
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah View Post
I can honestly say that watching the unveiling of the results, as well as hearing the judges say what went through their heads in the process of picking the winners, and hearing everyone's reactions to the results, were experiences that cannot compare to seeing it online.

You guys have about one year to plan to attend the next AGA conference
I'm glad you had that experience Sarah! I'm jealous, but I'm glad some of us had that opportunity! I'm sure it was great!

But that also means you got something I thought we were going to get (if indirectly) but did not - judges comments!

Last year the judges comments were, for me, the very best part. I was desperately looking forward to seeing them this year. Having their comments is SO valuable IMO - not just with regard to my own entries, but for all of them. And this year they have no comments on individual entries at all! Bummer.

And on top of that, now they are giving awards to tanks no one can see. The entry web site stated "All images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest must be accompanied by a signed copy of this Release Form." Yet they've given an award to a tank with no release form, so it appears we'll never see it. Can you imagine if they'd done that for Best in Show? "This was the absolute best entry. We just can't show you." Unbelievable.

So I'm glad you got the chance to see this stuff, and were able to hear the comments. I'm sure they were wonderfully instructive - a great learning experience.

I truly hope that next year they'll resume the excellent practices of providing judges comments on individual tanks, and awarding tanks that we can all see.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I am pretty sure that any winning tank who didn't sign the waver will get one in before the award is sent to them

The comments are there, just not public right now for reasons I dont know. I am pretty sure of this because for the "best of show", it was announced that the judges were able to see each others comments where in the rest of the judging, comments were hidden between judges.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:54 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
And on top of that, now they are giving awards to tanks no one can see. The entry web site stated "All images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest must be accompanied by a signed copy of this Release Form." Yet they've given an award to a tank with no release form, so it appears we'll never see it. Can you imagine if they'd done that for Best in Show? "This was the absolute best entry. We just can't show you." Unbelievable.
A the collected masses let out a groan when that was displayed. Lucky there was nothing to toss at the screen or it may have been destroyed. The rules NEED to be changed to say that a signed release is a requirement for entry. Better yet, an acknowledgment should be added to the online entry form stating that by entering you are releasing the photo for use by the AGA. .

Quote:
Last year the judges comments were, for me, the very best part. I was desperately looking forward to seeing them this year. Having their comments is SO valuable IMO - not just with regard to my own entries, but for all of them. And this year they have no comments on individual entries at all! Bummer.
I'll make it easy for you Scolly, look at Karen Randall's comments from the past few years, insert where appropriate.

I have to say this one criteria of sustainability needs to go or have less weight. These tanks are but moments in time, ephemeral, if you will. So what if the fish might outgrow the scape. At the point in time the scape was photographed did they fit? That should be the criteria. But then again, they don't ask me.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the reply Gomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
I am pretty sure that any winning tank who didn't sign the waver will get one in before the award is sent to them.
I should hope so. Though it would be a shame to withhold a well deserved prize due to some technical snafu - like difficulty faxing internationally. In such a situation a delay would be a fair and reasonable accommodation IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
The comments are there, just not public right now for reasons I dont know. I am pretty sure of this because for the "best of show", it was announced that the judges were able to see each others comments where in the rest of the judging, comments were hidden between judges.
Then I hope they post them. Personally, that's the primary reason I entered this year, to get those judges reactions. So it sure would be nice to see them posted.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I should hope so. Though it would be a shame to withhold a well deserved prize due to some technical snafu - like difficulty faxing internationally. In such a situation a delay would be a fair and reasonable accommodation IMO.
You are allowed to sign a printed out form and photograph it, then email the image to AGA. no Faxing needed.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster View Post
A the collected masses let out a groan when that was displayed. Lucky there was nothing to toss at the screen or it may have been destroyed. The rules NEED to be changed to say that a signed release is a requirement for entry. Better yet, an acknowledgment should be added to the online entry form stating that by entering you are releasing the photo for use by the AGA. .

I'll make it easy for you Scolly, look at Karen Randall's comments from the past few years, insert where appropriate.

I have to say this one criteria of sustainability needs to go or have less weight. These tanks are but moments in time, ephemeral, if you will. So what if the fish might outgrow the scape. At the point in time the scape was photographed did they fit? That should be the criteria. But then again, they don't ask me.

You ninja posted on me gnatster! I'll go look at Karen's comments. Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode