Beginner - some questions please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone,

I'd first like to say...I love this site and board!..it's a wonderful resource. I got a fish tank for Christmas. I've been reading up a lot on how to do the setup but I have some very specific questions.

I hope these questions aren't too stupid.

I got a 16 gallon bow front tank. I would have loved a larger tank but this is a great starting point. I'll be running the Eheim 2213 for the filtering system. The hood has a 20" 19 watt flourescent aquarium reflector.

I want to use live plants. Will I have enough light? If not how do I add more light?

Also, we bought a few plants tonight. The fish store guy said that these were of the hardier variety so I thought we'd give it a try. We got Micro Swords, a Queen Marble Sword, and some plant that looks like a corkscrew sorta. I'm sorry I don't know the name. We've just finished rinsing the Florite and we have the plants in a bowl with tap water to kill any critters living in them. How long can we keep the plants in the bowl before they suffer in case we don't get everything ready to put them in the tank?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Hey LilyEQ welcome! Glad you decided to join the board!!

First, I think you should probably move your plants from a bowl of tap water into a bucket of water. The bucket is bigger and deeper, and it will insure all of the plants are submerged and wet. Dechlorinate the water if necessary. Some may say that step is not needed, and they are probably right, but I always feel better about it!

Wow, an Eheim 2213 canister for your 16G! You have certainly selected a quality piece of equipment. The Eheim 2213 pushes 116 gallons per hour. That is a lot of water flow for a small aquarium...

The amount of light you are going to need is going to depend on the plants you want to grow. Right now you are going to have about 1.2 watts per gallon. That might be a bit too low. You might want to bump up to 30 of 40 watts. Tell us about the fixture. One of the boards DIY whizzes will certainly be able to tell you how to upgrade the wattage much better than I. I am a DIY idiot!!

I believe the corkscrew plant you are posting about is a Vallisneria sp.

Sounds to me like you are off to a good start! You seem to have a basic understanding as to what your plants are going to need to thrive. Keep asking questions. That is the best way to get answers! Again welcome to the board. I look forward to following the progress of your new aquarium.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the wonderful welcome Mike!

The fixture that I have is from All-Glass Aquarium. It's a Bow Front Deluxe Full Hood. Other than the fact that it has a 20" Flourescent tube that is 19 watts I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Hmmm my boyfriend just took the bulb out and the bulb states it's 15watts. The back of the hood says 19watts. It also says it's 120volts/60hertz. I don't even know what DIY is so I'd say I'm the DIY idiot LOL. Could I just change the bulb to one with more wattage?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:59 AM

19 Watts is the max for that fixture... you would need to upgrade (DIY), or add one more fixture to the tank (DIY).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:05 AM

They have a Compact Double bulb kit at PetCo. I think this can pop right in there, with little effort. But this is still a (DIY) job.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can't change out the bulb for one with more wattage. To do so you would either have to get a longer fixture or change out the ballast. And finding HO (high output) or VHO (very high output) bulbs in a 18" size is going to be next to impossible.

The ballast is 19 watts but the bulb only puts out 15. You definitely need more light. DIY is Do It Yourself. I can't recall how wide those tanks are. But if they are only 20" wide then you might want to head over to www.ahsupply.com and look at a 36 watt retro-fit kit. This will get you up to two watts per gallon which will allow you to grow some plants. Make your boyfriend put the kit into your existing strip light. Also you might want to check out my FAQ.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Well guys...after a lot of thought last night and this morning we went back to the store and returned the 16 gallon bow front and got a 45 gallon flat front. Part of the decision turning process from bow to flat is the stands they had available. We also got a triple tube 36" light that has a total output right now of 90 watts. In several months we'll start cycling UltraSun bulbs into the light which will give us more. We appreciate all the help in this thread and we're gonna keep reading the boards!

Lisa and Dan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
90 watts is 90 watts. The "magic" plant bulbs are not going to give you more light. In fact the All-Glass triple tube light has some great bulbs in it. You really should at least look at my FAQ.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi Rex,

I just finished printing out your FAQ before I had even seen your post hehe. I must have found it and bookmarked it from something else I had been reading and it looks like great info. I will read it and I appreciate your help. That makes sense to me that 90 watts is 90 watts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Is it normal to have a LOT of bubbles on everything when the tank is first setup? I have the filter running, 5 plants, no fish yet..and bubbles on everything..
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:57 AM

Yes, that happens in pretty much all tanks.

Looks like you got a way better setup with the 45g. One thing to note, make sure you understand "Cycling" and the relationships of ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. If your LFS has the BioSpira, like listed in Rex's FAQ, thats a great wat to "cheat" and get your tank ready for fish a lot quicker. Have you got any water test kits yet?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

We haven't gotten any test kits yet other than a PH strip tester. I don't like it though...it's hard to read. I have been looking at online stores all day and reading as much as possible. I did make note of the Bio-Spira that Rex spoke of in his FAQ and I am going to look into that.

I've also been reading up a lot on Co2 systems. I'm not understanding it all yet but then it's only been 2 days :shock: :lol:

Right now I'm doing what I'm sorta calling a "test run". We are moving in a month and we discussed waiting to do all this after the move but decided to do the learning process for a month since we'll probably screw up quite a few things and then when we move and do the re-setup we can learn from our mistakes.

I'm glad to hear the bubbles are normal!

Lisa
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:18 AM

Just found a pretty nice article tonight that covers a lot of basics.

http://www.geocities.com/aquascape2003/index.htm

Would be good to use to supplement your knowledge.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

That is a nice site...I hadn't seen that one. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode