Best Solution for lighting a small tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Solution for lighting a small tank?

I have had a non planted 20 gallon tank running for around a year now, but this morning I took everything out and put a thick layer of seachem flourite down. Problem is the tank never had a canopy so I was running it withought any light. I am wondering what is the best way to light my tank? I recently read on a thread here about 100w screw in compact flourecents, is this something to consider? I kind of think 100w would probably be a little too much for this set up and I wonder how evenly the light would be dispersed from a single bulb. Anyways I am just wondering what other people have done and I am interested in some more options. I don't want anything very expensive, I am thinking DIY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
To start a planted tank, are you aiming for low light, moderate, or high light plants?

If it's a low light tank, you're going to need 1.5-1.8WPG, moderate is from 1.8WPG-~2.1WPG, and high light is higher than that.

The 100W CF bulbs are actually 23-25 watts. The 100W is an incandescent equivalent while the "WPG" (watts per gallon) measure is in fluorescent wattages.

If it's a low light to moderate light tank, I'd try to have at least 2, preferably 3 screw in bulbs over the tank, evenly spaced out. Dose with Excel and you should be set.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will the WPG rule of thumb really be all that accurate on a 20 gallon tank? How many watts would be sufficient to moderatly light a 20 gallon aquarium?

And just so were on the same page about the bulbs, your refering to the spiral shaped compact flourecent bulbs, correct?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
There are high wattage spiral CF bulbs that will work, but they're not ideal. I'm currently using a 42 watt bulb (150 incandescent equivilent) with a clamp light, but I'm not happy with it. The bulbs are really long and the housing for the clamp light doesn't completely cover the bulb, so I'm losing quite a bit of light out of the side.

For example, here's a 60w CF bulb:
Halogen Bulbs, Hid Lights, Halogen Light Bulbs, Flourescent Lights, Flourescent Bulbs

Notice though that it's 9 1/2" long, so you'll want a housing that will cover that entire bulb.

As far as the wattages for CF bulbs, they'll typically say on the packaging something like 9w = 27w equivilent which means you're only getting 9 watts, but it's as bright as a 27w incandescent bulb.

And, no, the WPG rule doesn't apply to 20 gal tanks. You'll probably want at least 60w of light, IMO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode