External reactor or CO2 mist - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
External reactor or CO2 mist

Which is better? I'm currently running an external AM1000 reactor to supply my 75 gal with CO2. But I've been hearing lots about the CO2 mist. Is one better that the other?

Could I do the mist with just a powerhead by attatching the CO2 tubing to the air venturi inlet? Or does it need to be more than that?

Could I do both from one CO2 cylinder without another big investment in equipment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
As usual, some will say one is better than the other, while others will tell you it's the same. Since this thread will not be different than all the others, I'd suggest you read all the other Venturi Barr CO2 mist threads and come to your own conclusion.

I often don't believe anything I read and end up trying it all out myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What you really need to know is if dissolved Co2 is better than undissolved (in gas form like micro bubbles).I have changed my co2 injection from external DIY reactor to mist a week ago just to see for myself which system is more efficient and/or will I get better plant growth.but I have to wait another week or so to make any opinion on this subject.you asked how ?well it's simple ,just insert the co2 line into the INLET of any power head .
blast the bubbles toward the base of the plants....

CO2 issues? Read this - Barr Report

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I'm having one heck of a battle with algae. Tried everything that has been suggested. Tried blackouts, got all my nutrients in line, good lighting, CO2 through the external reactor. Just can't seem to beat it.

I have my CO2 cranked to the point that it is building up in my reactor. pH controller is set at 5.5.

Any suggestions. I'm grasping at straws.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
The bottom line is, what can you possibly do to get the most c02 saturation in yer tank with the least amount of effort.

Some say misting, some say glass diffusers, some say external reactors, others say ladders.

Bottom line is, when it comes to your tank, if you try each of them, the plants will let you know which one is the best for em!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
Well, I guess I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I'm having one heck of a battle with algae. Tried everything that has been suggested. Tried blackouts, got all my nutrients in line, good lighting, CO2 through the external reactor. Just can't seem to beat it.

I have my CO2 cranked to the point that it is building up in my reactor. pH controller is set at 5.5.

Pose your question in ALGAE section with full details of the water parameters,fert method,what kind of algae , what size tank,lights ON period.
and some of more knowledgeable and experienced people will have some answers for you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:29 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:

If you are not over dosing yer tank, you have a c02 issue for sure, if in fact you are dosing correctly as you say. Seems your reactor isn't doin what its spose to be doin... crank the neeedle valve up! If you see the fish gasping at the surface, back it off just a tad. Then u say the c02 is building up in your reactor. That doesn't mean that you are utilizing all your c02. What type filter are you running of the reactor

How is your reactor hooked up? What type of reactor is it?

If you have the c02 cranked to the point that it is building up in your reactor, The reactor is either hooked up wrong ie...upside down, or you might just have a c02 leak thru the tubing, or maybe a leak somewhere else.. If you are using silicone tubing, you are losing c02 thru the tubing.

Check out Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks for more detailed info on this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

O.K. I'll shoot this over to the algae forum.

The reactor is definitely working. My pH reads at 6.0 (that is the lowest my test kit will measure). Tap pH is about 7.6-8.0 depending on the time of year. But it would seem I have covered all the other bases and I still can't beat the algae.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
1 more thing to check if you have good level of co2 is to buy Co2 checker, the red sea has one of them or the luxary ADA

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Could I do both from one CO2 cylinder without another big investment in equipment?
Yep, You could get a manifold from Rex or build one like DC's from PVC, and do both.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode