My 120FW Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 120FW Planted

Hey folks... just joined the site and figured I'd introduce myself. I just recently moved my 75gal over to a 120. Here's my specs:

120gal RR tank w/ dual overflows
aprox 80lbs Seachem Flourite with 20lb Eco-complete bottom layer
2x 150w 10K HQI + 2x 96w 6500K PC (492w total...obviously.lol)
Dual Tidepool WetDry sumps with a Mag12 return Tee'd to two return outputs

Pending additions:
Im looking for some info on a CO2 system. (I'll take reccomendations here)
Im going to be adding a ReefKeeper2 to use for my light cycle and pH control/monitoring
I may plumb a spraybar to the return but will probably wait it out a little first.
Plan on building a canopy.
I may add a little more substrate and ofcourse more fish and plants!!!

Here's what my 75 looked like... I look forward to the 120 looking even better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

ahh... I found a pic of the 120 I took the morning after the conversion.
(only have the HQIs on in this pic...)

it's got a long way to go....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very nice looking tank. Sounds like you've got the right equipment going for the upgrade. As for CO2, someone else will have to help with that one. I'm currently trying to peice together a pressurized system myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't say I care for the color of the light. It looks really blue in the picture, but maybe it looks different in person.

But with that much light, you'd really better get moving on the CO2. I only have 216 Watts over my 120, and it had algae problems before I bumped up the CO2 a few months back. As for recommendations, I believe that Rex Grigg sells pretty much everything you need for CO2. I bought my stuff from Foster and Smith, but I don't think I have the best regulator in the world.

Good luck. 120s are one of my favorite tank sizes, and I'm sure it will work out well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah it definately doesnt look as blue in person. I think my camera settings were still configured for taking pics of my SW Reef tanks. Once I turn on the 6500K PCs it has a much better look to it.

As far as diffusers go... what are the differences? Do I just need something simple like a glass diffuser, or would something like this be more efficent?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcom Tony.
IMO I don't think a diffusor will work well for a tank your size.
Personally I would definitely go with the AM 1000.

You can make your own CO2 reactor (do a search on DIY CO2 reactor, or visit Rex's guide),
OR.....
Since you have a deidcated return pump, you might want to look into a Mazzei Venturi.
Tom Barr uses these in his larger applications. However they will add significant backpressure to a pump.
check here:

In my 125 I have 2 reactors 1 on each of my 2026s.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just a word of caution... if your using overflows and a wet/dry sump you may have problems with co2. Any agitation of the surface of water will gas off co2. Some have had a lot of trouble maintaining co2 levels with overflow and sump, while others have been able to seal everything up good enough to maintain levels.

Another choice is Flourish Excell wich is a liquid carbon source. May not be quite as effective but atleast an alternative to pressurized, and is reported to have algea killing properties. Does require more work (dialy or every other day dosing) and might eventually cost more than a co2 setup.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaoss23 View Post
ahh... I found a pic of the 120 I took the morning after the conversion.
(only have the HQIs on in this pic...)

it's got a long way to go....
looks great its blue because your using 10,000k hqi and you stated thats all that was on can u take a pic with the floru on also you stated they were 6500 that should washout the blue a bit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 02:29 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Welcome to PT, xaoss23! THat's a great looking 75g you HAD, and your 125 has awesome potential. I personally like the bluish hue, but would probably get sick of it. That hardscape must be massive!

Also, here's a good thread on sumps and co2!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode