Broke College Student!! No Donations Needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Broke College Student!! No Donations Needed

Listen guys..im broke!!

so heres the scoop, hopefully someone(s) can help

my 10gal is going down the tubes--i have BBA, GSA, and a destructive amount of bioload....yes, i started collecting fish and now have nowhere to put them.
even my gilfriend who doesnt know much about aquariums knows i have too many fish, and told me not to buy any...

I have a pressurized system on my 5 gal. nano--i know, overboard...

and i want to connect it to my 10 gal also...basically i need the fittings to add this system or im gonna ahve to tear it down and get rid of the fish.

the solenoid valve from the regulator has a 10/32'' output to a clippard needle valve, so i need this:

1x fitting (10/32") to lead to a manifold, from solenoid
1x manifold for more needle valves
2x needle valves to connect to tubing for both tanks
1x bubble counter for needle valve (not required

all i have is CO2 tubing and diffusion method

can anyone help? does anyone have spares they are willing to part with?

i understand this is a tall order, so im not expecting any handouts, but what kinda price am i looking at? keep in mind im broke hahaha

..its a lost cause...i guess im gonna tear down my 10gal.

my breeding pair of Blue Rams wont be happy anymore

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--

Last edited by |GTO|; 11-10-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What regulator do you have? You can get a cheap manifold (~$30) from Pet supplies, pet products, pet supply store, pet shop – Petstore.com. Just search for "manifold".

Just rip the plants out of your 10 gallon until you can get some money for your CO2. =P That's what I had to do...wait until I had enough $$ for CO2 and lights before deciding to do a planted tank. <-- poor college kid too.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
What college? What is your major? What is your GPA, come on sell it......DC

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

HAHAHAH a Buckeye!! great college sir!

I go to Penn State and im working towards my BS in Management/ Marketing and a minor in Horticulture: GPA ~3.95 (est.) straight A's currently (21 credit semester)

Afterall, I want to open my own shop/aquarium plant nursery

I guess im gonna ahve to sell my fish--

Since I have no room to move any of them into other tanks, I have the following:

1 breeding pair of German Blue Rams
1 other male GBR
4 Serpae tetras
2 Bloodfin tetras
1 long-finned blue danio
2 Neons
1 Julli Cory
1 Panda COry
6 Pygmy Cories
1 Banjo Catfish
about 20 Amanos
1 Blue Fire Dwarf Gourami

(from various tanks)

id rather get the parts then sell the fish, but I guess sacrifices ahve to be made

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Everyone has an opinion

Penn State = Strike 1

BS in Management/ Marketing (hopefully you will develop better marketing skills here) and a minor in Horticulture = Foul Ball

GPA ~3.95 (est.) straight A's = Home Run

PM me your address and I will see what I can make you this weekend.

I grew up in Ohio, always a Buckeye fan but not an Alumni. My Alma Mater is Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, they have a tough time fielding a table tennis team, hey maybe Penn State should play them in football (just kidding).......DC

GO BUCKEYES!!!!

We're #1!!!!

Gonna KICK Michigan's Ass at the SHOE!!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Are you sure that there is not a bushing in the solenoid? Most solenoids have 1/8" ports. If that's the case then it makes your project a LOT easier.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
my buddy graduated from Embry-Riddle in the spring of 2005.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
Are you sure that there is not a bushing in the solenoid? Most solenoids have 1/8" ports. If that's the case then it makes your project a LOT easier.

I just got off the phone with the company i got the regulator assembly from.

The solenoid valve DOES have a bushing inside the output which connects directly to the needle valve. this bushing is 1/8" to 10/32", and can be removed.

They also told me that your stuff (Rex) is the same as the stuff they have there. this is what I need to stop the madness in my aquariums:

1x fitting to the multi-manifold (from 1/8' male to ?" male to manifold)
1x multi manifold
2x needle valves to fit manifolds
2x check valves
2x bubble counters
plugs for the unused slots for the manifold

They said they would charge me $85 bucks for what I need!! I cant afford that!!

Rex, DiabloCanine....can you help me?

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Everyone has an opinion

Leave the regulator as is, I will make you a 2 port pvc manifold. It won't be pretty but it will work, I will need to bum some parts from RMC. You can return the RAOK when you become rich and famous. Send me your address......DC
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Planted aquarium hobby is not a cheap one. What did we figure the average per gallon was a few years ago $20-$25?

jdb416, you may want to consider going low tech to save yourself some money.

Please try not to use the forum to beg for freebies too often in the future.

Mike
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Planted aquarium hobby is not a cheap one. What did we figure the average per gallon was a few years ago $20-$25?

jdb416, you may want to consider going low tech to save yourself some money.

Please try not to use the forum to beg for freebies too often in the future.

Mike

Dear Mr. Moderator,

Im not begging for freebies as you may think. Im only looking for alternate sollutions to my problem. I dont understand why you sound so angry, but I think it is unwarranted. I do not want freebies, I can and will come up with the money. My current situation does not allow me to spend wildly, and I made the mistake of saving up for and purchasing upgraded light without fully upgrading my CO2 system first.

I apoligize for my mistake, although I do not think an apology on my part is at all warranted. I was taught throughout my life to use my resources. And to alwasy return favors. I do not beg, I do not steal, and I do not swindel. So if your implecations are registering correctly in my mind, your saying that I am, indeed, begging.

I humbly retract my request for help in this matter. However I did not know that this forum was not to be used to find, recieve, and perpetuate help of others.

I, jsut as everyone else here, know full well just how expensive this hobby is. I simple mistake on my part is just that, a simple mistake. I dont see the need to jump down my throat.

jdb416

--DC, you do not need to build me that manifold. It was a kind gesture on your part, but i do not want to piss off the people who make this forum possible. Ill suffer and Ill save up for the equipment I need. Thanks anyway though.

cheers,

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
$60 for a ultra mini manifold, 2X needle valves, 2x check valves and a plug for the unused slot. But you should only need one needle valve as you already have one. That would bring the price down to $46. Bubble counters I don't have. Make them from water bottles.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If the pressurized system is too much for the 5g why not put that on the 10g and use DIY yeast CO2 for the 5g?

I'm a poor college student as well but have managed to keep up 5 tanks and one of them being semi-high tech (only really missing pressurized CO2). It can be done but you have to look for deals. Pawn shops are your friend.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
If the pressurized system is too much for the 5g why not put that on the 10g and use DIY yeast CO2 for the 5g?

I'm a poor college student as well but have managed to keep up 5 tanks and one of them being semi-high tech (only really missing pressurized CO2). It can be done but you have to look for deals. Pawn shops are your friend.
I find alot of things i need..believe it or not..at the thrift store hehe

I have to--otherwise id be up to my ears in debt..although Penn Stste is rapidly drowning me lol

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Dear Mr. Moderator,

Im not begging for freebies as you may think. Im only looking for alternate sollutions to my problem. I dont understand why you sound so angry, but I think it is unwarranted. I do not want freebies, I can and will come up with the money. My current situation does not allow me to spend wildly, and I made the mistake of saving up for and purchasing upgraded light without fully upgrading my CO2 system first.

I apoligize for my mistake, although I do not think an apology on my part is at all warranted. I was taught throughout my life to use my resources. And to alwasy return favors. I do not beg, I do not steal, and I do not swindel. So if your implecations are registering correctly in my mind, your saying that I am, indeed, begging.

I humbly retract my request for help in this matter. However I did not know that this forum was not to be used to find, recieve, and perpetuate help of others.

I, jsut as everyone else here, know full well just how expensive this hobby is. I simple mistake on my part is just that, a simple mistake. I dont see the need to jump down my throat.

jdb416
Not angry at all! I can't see how you can say I sound "angry" if you can't hear my voice! Guess I should have added a winky smilie or something. You could have tried me via PM and asked if I was angry.

BTW, you never have to use "Dear Mr. Moderator". I sign all my posts with my name. You can feel free to use it. I don't mind at all. I wish more people would do the same.

You did says several times you can't afford this or that. How am I or anyone else to interpret that?

Quote:
Listen guys..im broke!!
Quote:
can anyone help? does anyone have spares they are willing to part with?
Quote:
keep in mind im broke hahaha
Quote:
They said they would charge me $85 bucks for what I need!! I cant afford that!!
Now, I am not jumping down your throat. I am certainly not calling you a swindler or a thief. I don't know where that came from.

I guess I forget that the older version of the forum is gone. In that, we had a policy of not asking people for free stuff. We had an epidemic of people asking for free plants and the like which got obnoxious, so at member's request we had a policy against it in place. That has stopped, and so the older policy has gone by the wayside. So I am sorry for that.

Trying to have a high-tech planted aquarium on a low-tech budget is really, really tough. My suggestion of going low tech was an honest one. You are talking about a 10G where a DIY rig would be very do-able. An old juice bottle and some tubing. Very economical and extremely efficient on small aquariums. You could look into backing off on your lighting (running one bulb instead of two)and going with some lower light, slower growing plants until your financial situation improves.

Quote:
--DC, you do not need to build me that manifold. It was a kind gesture on your part, but i do not want to piss off the people who make this forum possible. Ill suffer and Ill save up for the equipment I need. Thanks anyway though
Mike
That is silly! Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. If DC is going to hook you up, then get hooked up!

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode