Detritus pile-up problem in planted 65g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Detritus pile-up problem in planted 65g

I am having a huge problem with detritus piling up on the bottom of my 65g breeder. The tank is set up so both sides are visible, with the in/out of the Fluval 304 on the side of the tank. All the detritus piles up on the same side of the tank. The filter seems to do a great job on this tank, but it just doesn't have good flow in most areas.

My initial thoughts were to add a closed loop and point a couple outlets right at the trouble spots. This has worked wonders on my nano reef, so I figured it would do a good job here as well. My other thoughs are to add a high flow stream type pump like a Seio Superflow. The superflow would be nice as I can just drop it in there without having to build any plumbing. Anyone see any potential problems with drastically increasing the flow in the tank? Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
More flow will be good. Do you run CO2? It will distribute it around the tank as well as ferts and what not. One of the most overlooked parameter to a planted tank IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No CO2 yet, though I am considering one of the Red Sea setups in the future. I would like to take care of this problem first. So I am looking at the 620 GPH Seio, or the 1100 gph Seio, both Superflows. Anybody using these?

More kids than time

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I ordered up a Seio Superflow 620 and it completely fixed the problem. This pump is about exactly the same as a Tunze, but costs about 1/4 the price. I mounted it up high in the tank and have the flow aimed down. Immediately my fish started swimming in the current. It has a very strong current and keeps things suspended in the water column where the filter can keep things clean. I couldn't be happier.

More kids than time
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Good to hear, glad it worked out for you

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode