erythromycin question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
erythromycin question

I am tired of green slime algae in my tank and want to get rid of it by dosing erythromycin. Doesm anyone know where I can get this stuff and how to dose it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Be careful. Erythromycin is an anti-biotic. Remember that basically means 'against life'. Erythromycin can throw your tank back into a cycle as it also will kill the benificial bacteria growing in your system. I know that you can purchase it at your LFS where they sell fish meds. Dosing is done as per instructions, however there are far better tested and true measures that can be taken to be rid of it. A quick search of this forum should yield many results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
you should be able to get this at any lfs that carries mardel products. api also has erythromycin tablets. half dosing the recommended dose will be enough to kill the slime algae and shouldn't harm your beneficial bacteria. though this will fix it temporarily, you will need to get your nutrients in check in order to keep this stuff away.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
used it as well for BGA and it works great. used the Mardel brand at full recomended strength. shrimp, fish and the rest came thru great. make sure to do water changes to remove the dead/dying algae or it will foul the tank pretty bad. didnt notice any drop in benneficial bacteria, though this was a low tech planted tank. people say use it as a last resort, but after weeks of trying the other remedies with no success, this was the quickest easiest way. make sure you follow danepatrick's advise and find the cause of the algae or it will come back.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can also get Fish Mycin (= Erythromycin) online. I think it might be cheaper than Mardel's product. Here are some instructions for its use against BGA.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sorry for being so against this practice, but the two times that I did use it, I had trouble afterwards. After thinking a little about it, the problems arrived when I used it in a freshwater fish only tank, and a saltwater reef tank. Neither of them were planted. My advice may have been a little apprehensive based on my own personal experience with the stuff. I'm still learning everyday about planted tanks. I'm guessing the rules don't apply as well here as they have in the past. For me, it has been a temporary fix only as it treated only the symptom, not the cause.

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Erythromycin = savior.

For my BGA I used a treatment of the Er + a black out and a hefty cleaning. went away totally after just about 3-4 days.
Problem with this is you do need to remove your Bio-media from the tank as the anti bods will kill all bacteira in the tank. But it is horribly effective.
once you clear out the outbreak it is important to then attack the root cause of the BGA in the first place. Some people think that it is caused by excessive organic waste left at the bottom of the tank. Also it is considered to be because of lacking levels of nitrates allowing the bact to feed of of the other nutriants and not allow the plants to.
Bottom line. Keep a clean well balanced tank and BGA shouldn't be an issue.
Using the Erythromycin will greatly reduce its ablity to spring back as it will also kill the stuff you might miss with your cleaning.

Petco or your LFS should have the API Erythromycin tabs for around 5-6 bucks an 8 pack.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can I switch my mature with a different filter during the treatment so save the benificial bacterial?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
For planted tanks that are normally stocked, you shouldn't have problems. At least I never lost anyone by treating with EM, did a good job on the cyanobacteria though. If your tank is overstocked, maybe keep an eye on your fishies, ready to do some water changes if they start acting weird.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteFishy View Post
Can I switch my mature with a different filter during the treatment so save the benificial bacterial?

Sure. When I was doing my treatment I used a sock filled with poly fill for mech filtration. Since plants take up a large part of the bio load so long as your not already on the brink of a bio break down removing the bio media from the filter shouldnt be that great of an issue. for the most part our filters are really only needed for mech filtration and water circulation and as a supplement to the plants.

oh yeah. I used the dosage as it was printed on the package. I did not half it. I did however take a few moments to crush the pills up and delute it in water.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How can I tell if the medication has erythromycin? It doesnt say on the box.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

thje stuff I use is labled Erythromycin in big black letters. And its a green and yellow package.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
Be careful. Erythromycin is an anti-biotic. Remember that basically means 'against life'. Erythromycin can throw your tank back into a cycle as it also will kill the benificial bacteria growing in your system. I know that you can purchase it at your LFS where they sell fish meds. Dosing is done as per instructions, however there are far better tested and true measures that can be taken to be rid of it. A quick search of this forum should yield many results.
Erythromycin kills gram positive cocci and Erythromycin sensitive gram negatives. Nutrifying bacteria is in the form of gram negative rods not sensitive to Erythromycin. Dosing Erythromycin will NOT screw up your tank. Again, things spewed out because it was said in the past, with no true knowledge of the subject. Dose it...it is safe and effective.
If you had problems with it in the past, it is likely due to high protein and NH4 spike dues to increase in dead cyano floating around the water column, not the drug or an interruption in Nitrobacter.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteFishy View Post
no need to do anything.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Im on day three with the medication. My water is kinda cloudy and one of my neon tetras is gasping for air and lost its color. Its not shoaling with my other 20 neon tetras. What should I do?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode