Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL?

Hey all, I wanted to post this reply I received from a person who bought some stuff from me. This person claimed to work for USDA (the address I shipped to was a USDA office) and although not in APHIS proper, he asked around and wrote to me regarding plants on the noxious weed list/hobbyists selling them.

"Hi Bill,

I have an answer for you on the weeds. It is illegal to import any plant on the Federal Noxious Weed list. It is illegal to propagate, grow out and sell them within or across state borders. If the plants (weeds) were shipped to warm climate states like Florida, Louisiana, and California there are more problems and stiffer penalties. Many southern states have their own laws and law enforcement teams that investigate this type of trade on top of the Federal agencies....

There is a branch of APHIS called SITC (Smuggling Interdiction & Trade Compliance) which investigates these types of crimes. They take their job very seriously. Currently they have a team checking internet websites like Aquabid, Ebay etc ... Often these sites are monitored for some time before they act (case building) on the offenders, fines can be high. Hobbyist can be the worst offenders; they are not under the radar anymore. Some law enforcement officers are "making" their careers by stopping all types of hobbyist and collectors who trade in illegal commodities and animals (CITES plants and animals, exotic pets too).

That is all I know. Again, I suggest that this person does not offer any Federal Noxious Weed plants for sale any more. They should also destroy what plants they themselves currently have. They never will know if there past activity will bring a future knock on the door from law enforcement.

I hope that helps."

This person wrote this so it should NOT be construed as the law by any means! It certainly may as well be true. Anyone selling/trading plants should do a quick search for noxious weeds in the U.S. and the state they're shipping to as well I would think.

This link should be useful...
Invasive and Noxious Weeds | USDA PLANTS

I'm not very active at this site so if this has been covered before I apologize. Feel free to add to it or move it to an appropriate place.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
very good info. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
What's funny about this is that I checked about 5 states including Cali, Florida and Lousiana and not one of them lists Duckweed (lemna minor) or Anachris (egeria densa). You would think those would be on everybodies list since they grow so fast and can take over. Especially duckweed!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am amused that Eichhornia azurea (water hyacinth) is on the State Noxious Weed Lists and yet easy to find at home improvement stores.

They need to make the list easy to find, easy to read, and provide a mechanism to inform retailers/the public.

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I heard in Maine that a guy was arrested for owning some koi or something along those lines... sad... and they are strict on these types of things! I'll have to check up on my plants on that list later, thanks for the heads up!

- Andrew
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
This is important...

ANY PLANT ON THE FEDERAL LIST MEANS IT IS ON EVERY STATES LIST!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:47 AM

PTrader: (1/67%)
Why don't we just make a prohibited weed list on this forum with pictures?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
...and the list is growing all the time. It's very unfortunate that a few spoil it for everyone else. These problems are real however. A friend of mine was ticketed because he did not clean off the seaweed from his prop before leaving the boat access. They are very strict in Florida regarding 'noxious weeds'. If you take a tour through some of the waterways there, you'll know why. Invasive species like Hydrilla and Water Hyacinth are dominating lakes and rivers. It's because of irresponsible people that these things happen. It's sad, and if left unchecked, will be a real limiting factor in this hobby. In order to sell plants, fish, snakes, spiders, etc. permits are required. Along with those permits come inspections. I was inspected at least 6 times a year in Florida. There are also different inspectors. U of F has their athropod permit, and another for plants, that require inspection and notification of anything entering or leaving the state. Animals and plants are supposed to be sent to U of F....as a dead specimen preserved, to be properly identified before being allowed in the state. They can be very 'iffy' on letting that slide even if the specimen is rare/only one. You can't even bring rocks into the state without a permit....because of the potential hitchikers. Checking with your own local F & W dept. may leave you a bit suprised. Moving back home to Michigan has made things a bit easier. At least the laws aren't too strict....yet.

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Queen View Post
Why don't we just make a prohibited weed list on this forum with pictures?
great idea
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
This is great info. Thanks!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, The USDA goes very tough on these plants and the list just keeps getting longer each year!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
so your not even suppose to have the plants in your tank huh? So people in flordia are pretty much screwed it sounds like.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
This is an old list that I thought many have already knwn about. Sunset hygro, for instance, is illegal. As long as I dispose of the clippings properly so they do not get into the waterways <I live in NYC> I don't see the harm. I am not growing hash for chrissake...lol
I guess it is good to know info, but people will do what they feel is right, and I personally think that most people in this hobyy aren't propogated it to throw in waterways to screw up the ecosystem. We are keeping it in our own ecosystem and disposing of it responsibly.
I could just see it now.....cops come over, bang on the door, and rather than flushing pot, I am up to my armpits in my tank with tweezers pulling out some of my weeds to flush them...lol There are worse things in the world going on, I place this on the bottom of the list...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
unless its the someone from the SITC they wouldn't know sunset hygro if you smacked them in the face with it
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
"I don't see the harm"

"I place this on the bottom of the list"

The thing is, when they knock on your door it really doesn't matter if you don't see the harm, or where on the list you place this as a priority.

Keith

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode