malaysian trumpet snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
hi all,

does anybody have any experience shipping trumpet snails in the mail? if the snails would survive would someone be willing to ship me a few?

i would of course send you a self addressed, postage paid envelop/container.

i had a decent colony of MTS, but they were wiped out when a new breed of snails was accidentally introduced to the tank. these new snails either ate them, ate their eggs or just plain out-competed them for resources.

thanks,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
MTS are live-bearers so there are no eggs to eat. Are you sure your snails are gone? Drop a piece of blanched zucchini in the tank just before lights out and come back in 30 minutes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 03:02 AM

I ship Malaysian Trumpet snails all the time.

It is pretty had to kill them, I think Rex is right, watch carefully after lights out to see if they are still there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

hi guys,

for some reason i never received emails to this post so i assumed no one answered.

REX, yeah i havent seen a MTS in at least 6 months after having at least 50 or so. when the lights go out its just the round snails out and about.

ANONAPERSONNA, if you would be willing to ship some MTS to me I would really appreciate it.

ideally i would like to wipe out the breed of snails currently in the tank before i re-introduce the MTS. are there any snail-be-gone medications or chemicals that are fish and plant safe?

thanks a lot, sorry for the late reply
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
There is not a single Snail killing solution on the market that I would use in any of my tanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

ok, thanks rex. i guess i will just try and keep populations under control by picking them out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

a clown loach/botia can control a snail problem.

my tank there is no signs of a snail infestation and no visable damage on my plants, but if you open up the filter from time to time, there are swarms of them. my loach eats the snails and eggs as they drop out of the filter. you can probably use one to kill all your snails and give/sell it off when your going to introduce the MTS. they cost about 3 bucks a loach at my LFS. Probably the same cost for a bottle of snail killer. remeber to clean out your filter, snail eggs get caught in filters.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:
are there any snail-be-gone medications or chemicals that are fish and plant safe?
The DrsFosterSmith catalog lists a product called Had-A-Snail, but says that it is not available in California. I bet you might have a hard time finding any kind of snail-killing chemical (legally) for sale here.

Rob
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Kuhli Loaches are snail eaters, try a few of them
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by res1223
Quote:
are there any snail-be-gone medications or chemicals that are fish and plant safe?
The DrsFosterSmith catalog lists a product called Had-A-Snail, but says that it is not available in California. I bet you might have a hard time finding any kind of snail-killing chemical (legally) for sale here.

Rob
I've used this stuff (it's copper-based) and had a hard time getting snails to live in that tank from then on. Even after persistent water changes and carbon.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Kuhli Loaches are snail eaters, try a few of them
No. clown loaches are supposed to be, kuhlie loaches are not.

I have my doubts about botia modesta and tiger loach as well -- I added one large MTS and one tiny MTS to their cichlid tank and no one has eaten either of them. OTOH, the biggest blood parrot in the other cichlid tank crunches them easily if he catches them falling but he never looks through the gravel for them, so one is alive in the gravel there, inspite of there being 4 very large clown loaches in that tank. The peacocks and severum try but cannot crack the hard shells.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've heard it may take time for the clowns to discover MTS, but know of at least one aquarist who reports them digging up the substrate to search out and eat them after they were found out.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode