I've made a stupid mistake. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've made a stupid mistake.

I just recently set up a new tank with some ada soil it in. Everything was going fine until i decided i wanted to build a moss wall. I cut some mesh, thinking it was stainless steel, but it turns out it was galvanized. After only 2 days, rust started appearing on the mesh, and my water turned very murky.

Now my question is what should i do to get rid of the leeched rust/metals?

I plan on making this my new CRS tank, so i definately do not want to kill them all in here. Im going to do a few 100% water changes, but im afraid that the metals have leeched into the soil and/or filter. I can clean the filter out, but what about the soil?

Please help me out guys!

Thanks,

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
galvanized steel hardware cloth is not responsible for your cloudy water (unless you are using plaster wall lath sheeting, which should be removed immediately). the cloth will oxidize a bit by turning white, but it does not rust as quickly as you suggest, or effect your water chemistry that quickly.

your tank is probably still cycling which is why your water is murky. just do a 50% water change, then put activated carbon or seachem purigen in your canister filter for a few days, and anything you suspect leeched into your water should clear up.

regardless, you should change the moss wall medium to clear Plastic Canvas Mesh 5 holes per inch.

this supplier ships cheap and has no minimum order requirement;
Plastic Canvas 5 Mesh 13-1/4X22 Clear by: WARM COMPANY -

these suction cups with removable air hose clips work perfectly with that Mesh;
Spot / Ethical Products - Airline Suction Cup 10 Pack
figure 1 suction cup every 4"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Actually, im fairly certain that it is because of the mesh. My tank was fine and clear for the first few days that i set it up. The mesh is pure brown now (rust color) after only 2 days. Possible reaction with the aqua soils content? Also, wouldnt activated carbon remove nutrients from the water? Any other suggestions?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i use plastic gutter guard for my moss wall. flexible but rigid enough to keep a stiff shape. holes are about 1/4". black color matches my background. your local home depot/lowes should carry it. around $3.50 for a roll

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...6_front500.jpg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks AlGee! I will definately be going to home depot for this!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
If it's still murky, I would run activated carbon to clear it up for a month. Amano uses it in his new setups. It said to remove trace elements. Although, I have it in and my plants are growing nicely.

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I bet what you did was stur up the ADA aquasoil when you put it in, then got a bacteria bloom. for my moss walls I just use cheap aluminum mesh, so far so good.

- Fish Newb

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode