I want rocks.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I want rocks....

Would these do?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=23615

I am planning my second tank, low tech, with an Iwagumi theme. I know they aren't real but can you really tell?

Canon Pimp Club #005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Personally I wouldnt pay for rocks, check a near by river or stream and get some....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
Personally I wouldnt pay for rocks, check a near by river or stream and get some....

Ha....hmm...I am in NYC. Most water source area is somewhat...hmm...polluted. I do live near the beach but those are sea water...

Canon Pimp Club #005

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gotcha, then yeah those are okay or if you could find a hardware place that sells almost like landscaping rock, like that go around flower beds, not that NYC has flower beds, but you get the idea. If you can find something like that test the rock with vinegar to see if it fizzes, if it does, DO NOT use that rock it will deteriorate in your aquarium, otherwise if it doesn't fizz soak the rock for a good couple hours, then scrub scrub scrub to get any dirt debris off of the rock them soak some more and repeat. Then let them dry really well just to kill any moss on the rock or what have you, then your ready.

But if you buy from Dr Foster Smith the rock should be pretty good already, I just wanted to give you some info in case you find some without ordering that's what I would do with the rock to make sure it was safe to go in the aquarium.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Gotcha, then yeah those are okay or if you could find a hardware place that sells almost like landscaping rock, like that go around flower beds, not that NYC has flower beds, but you get the idea. If you can find something like that test the rock with vinegar to see if it fizzes, if it does, DO NOT use that rock it will deteriorate in your aquarium, otherwise if it doesn't fizz soak the rock for a good couple hours, then scrub scrub scrub to get any dirt debris off of the rock them soak some more and repeat. Then let them dry really well just to kill any moss on the rock or what have you, then your ready.

But if you buy from Dr Foster Smith the rock should be pretty good already, I just wanted to give you some info in case you find some without ordering that's what I would do with the rock to make sure it was safe to go in the aquarium.
Thanks....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem, I didn't mean to insult you you most likely knew what I told you but just in case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No problem, I didn't mean to insult you you most likely knew what I told you but just in case

Hahaah...no, I just thought of a nature preserve near me that I could hunt some rocks there. Not feeling like spending $30 for some fake rocks though....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
You could always go by a landscaping supply store (if they have any in NYC) and look around.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Some people like us poor people in Florida are stuck paying $2.99 or more a lb for rocks because all we have is sand I stocked up on rocks while I was in NY

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
DaveFish has some fantastic, though expensive, lava rocks I bought for my aquarium.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
i agree,,, try to find a landscaping place,,, you can get alot of rocks for pretty cheap... when i lived in NY there used to be some nurseries in college point, and bayside areas,,, also there are a bunch out on LI if you go out that way

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode