Im writing a letter to walmart, and to PETA about Walmart!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Im writing a letter to walmart, and to PETA about Walmart!!

Hi everyone!

So I just got back from walmart after spending a few hours 'window' shopping for different things. Mostly I was there to check out some CF screw in lightbulbs for a new aquarium project hehe. GE makes these really nice 100W CF screwins in 6500K spectrum..

anyway--i know the supercenter has fish for sale so I went to look, although I knew in advance I would be disappointed.

Disappointed in an understatement. Appaled is a better word. Not a single fish there was in good health. Every fish had fin rot, and a few have even lost some fins. There were 'sleepers' (deads), lots of em, in every tank. Detritus piled up on the bottom of some aquariums. I cant go on.

Walmart's getting a letter, so is PETA. This crap has to stop with these places. Id rather have them stop selling fish completely then sell em in that condition. its not like I buy any from them anyway..im not a noob after all hehe.

Ohh and I almost forgot...a red bellied Pacu was so thin from malnutrition its ribs were showing, like a dried up fish on the carpet. I was amazed it was still alive. I almost took it home, but the shock would have killed it, and if i took that one home, Id have to take about 1000 fish home.

Its depressing to see that, ya know?

Im gonna start a petition if it comes down to it--lets jsut see how the reaming I gave the store manager went. Corporate idiots in Arkansas jsut got a phone call, and another reaming..

ill keep everyone posted.

cheers,.......and be nice to your fish

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Good job for taking an action.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Walmart...

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can't hug a fish so PETA doesn't care.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Recently, PETA added a fish section on their site.

Although I support proper care and treatment of animals (I still believe in wearing fur and most animals), I do not support PETA. They go about things the wrong way and are just too controversial, IMO.

Eheim Pimpette #230

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is the remedy for stupidity.

It's not the size of the tank, but how you use it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
good luck... corporate is fun to deal with

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
You may be fighting a losing battle. They're just a big corporation that cares about nothing, except making money....no surprise though, as that is how it works. In order to make more money on, for example, the fish department, they need to minimize overhead...This may mean feed less, less employees on staff, fewer tanks(so overcrowding), etc etc. That being said, they probably won't be able to hire anyone to work in the fish dep't that knows much. Most people who would work in a fish store would work at a million places before going to the dark side with Wal-Mart, for $8-10 or whatever they make. You should check out that documentary movie that was made about Wal-Mart....It's called something like, "The high cost of low prices".

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
I just wanted to let you know those screwins you got. are not 100w. They are 23w. I have a pair of them myself. the "effective" wattage is rated at 100W incandecent. however we don't really use incandecents so the effective wattage really means nothing for us. Actual watts is what you wanna worry about. That being said I know where you can get some real 100w CF screwins. PM if interest.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:51 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
I applaude your effort but please don't bother with those morons in PETA. Like so many other organizations that started with a good cause, they have evolved into nothing more than a radical leftist political special interest.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
You lost my interest as soon as you mentioned PETA.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wise up! PETA is not the fishkeeper's friend.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have to agree, PETA doesn't want you to own fish....or anything else. I myself am appalled at Wal-Mart. I think everyone on this forum would agree that their local Wal-Mart was awful. I think you ought to do whatever you can to stop it, just remember that PETA is not an ally, it's your enemy.

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Ya dont go to the lfs ta buy laundry soap...

Walmart...Dont even get me started with these corporate idiots!!!

They really do need to give up on selling anything thats alive! Cause the half brain dead employees they hire cant take care of themselves much less anything thats is alive.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
last time i was at a walmart all the fish had ich, were kept is filty bare bottom tanks with half the inhabitants dead. They had black beard algae EVERYWHERE too and the tanks were dimmly lit. I really don't know why they even sell fish it can't possibly make them money with how many they must lose due to their lack of care
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

HAHAHA ohh you all sound soooo ANGRY

The PETA comment I originally added served more as a thread eye catcher, not somehting im actually going to go through with!

I actually did a huge research project for Penn State on this:

"Choose an organization thought to be at one time hugely innovative and had the ability to make changes through its influence; but has become corrupt through mishandling and has veered off the path intended by its foundation."

Needless to say, I chose PETA for this project! hehe
I actually met with a PETA 'Warrior' in the Allentown Public Library and interviewed him. Seemed like a genuine person, one who had not lost the sentiment for the animals...so I ditched that line of questioning and asked of the organization itself...

...basically they are a gun-toting neonazi war machine bent on the destruction of all things cool and worthwhile, like hunting, and fur coats, and those baby seal slippers i love to wear HAHA

wierdos

In all fairness, I do plan on writing a letter to the corporation, although the weight it carries is about effective as a '22 squirrel killer rifle' against an M1A1 Abrams tank. A futile action, but satisfying to me in some dimunitive way.

The reaming I gave the store manager allowed me to walk out of Walmart with a lightness in my step previously unmatched since my last reaming of someones lack of intelligence. That instance was probobly the most influence I could have on this company, and I understand that.

Efforts against 'mega-mart' are nearly useless and I know that. Im not a 11 year old kid with a big heart and a fire in my eyes burning for action and change...but sometimes...and only on those rare occasions, I have to role up my sleeves and take the dive into corporate oblivion...

Im not afraid to go to war when I know , beyond and shed of doubt, that ill lose. I know rex is on my side..so who's with me???

cheers,

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
What about the local SPCA, Health Department, or other state agency that controls the licenses of pet facilities?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode