Scaping your planted aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Scaping your planted aquarium

OK I have been debating on re-scaping my current 46gal bow. It has just become a jungle and the Giant hygro has taken allot of the beauty away or choked most of the other plants. Seems I am always chopping and cutting away at the plant.
What I am wondering how many other PT members have changed there complete layout of there tanks?
Did it take 5 hours?
Was 75% or more plants removed and replanted?
Was all live stock removed?
These are just a few questions I am curious about.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
OK I have been debating on re-scaping my current 46gal bow. It has just become a jungle and the Giant hygro has taken allot of the beauty away or choked most of the other plants. Seems I am always chopping and cutting away at the plant.
What I am wondering how many other PT members have changed there complete layout of there tanks?
Did it take 5 hours?
Was 75% or more plants removed and replanted?
Was all live stock removed?
These are just a few questions I am curious about.
Thanks
I've re arranged my tank a couple of times. Pretty much a 100% replant and purge. Fish stay in. Filter changed after water clears up some. As for how long I wish there were five solitary hours but at my house that is not going to happen. If your going to move around hardscape and plant's five hours whould be a good budget timeframe.

Nice thing about this activity is you can really see how many fish are in there. For me I was supprised how many ottos were still in there. Also the fact there fat means to me they are happy.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If I rescape my 20g, I remove all the plants, except the carpet/foreground (if its going to remain). I also wipe any algae if necessary and try to move the substrate to create the look that I want. For a complete rescape -- 2-3 hrs. For just a water change and light trim -- 1 hr.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
i think I arrage mine every two weeks! As I get to know what plants do better with my conditions, and what I like and don't like, I make changes. OKOK I have A D D
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I just redid my 120gal tank. I took all the plants and driftwood out. I drained the tank down to about 6 inches so i could catch some of the fish I was moving to a different tank. Took me about 4 hours maybe but 2 of that was trying to catch the 10 SAE's I had in the tank.....they are smart and fast buggers. The fish I was keeping stayed in the tank and I refilled it replanted it and they are all doing fine now...of course all the activity of me trying to catch the other fish freaked them out quite a bit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:57 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm planning to take down Naupaka Coast in December. In fact, I plan on setting up and taking down lay-outs with each semester for the next 3 years left in college.

In high school, can't even begin to count all the lay outs I put up and then tore apart.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
IM in the process of doing it now it seems that im the only person who has mass problems with flouite! so yesterday 4:00 i started checked all driftwood for cories, ottos ect pulled everything out except the carpet (keeping that the way it is) and ended up with a clouded red tank ( yes i washed my flourite ive had it for a year and its still this mess mabey i AM just unlucky.) Did a 25% water change,Then put everything i could in tubs and what plants / driftwood i had left place in regulary misted garbage bags.... Waited until this morning when it was clear caught my flying fox im gettng rid of. Next i waited until i got home and did 25% water change again, re-scaped my rocks to get a sloped effect and ended up with red again! so now im waiting its taken me 24 hours and will end up taking more im sure. But thats just me i love to rescape my tank constanly but flourite has ended the one month changes i had in the past

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.gilly View Post
so now im waiting its taken me 24 hours and will end up taking more im sure.

I wish it was that easy for me to leave the plants out. But when there is a 2 year old that thinks he needs to help with everything which I don't have a problem with but the time he picks up a plant and starts to hand it over it is in 4 or 5 parts or he will run off with it and while I chase him down he will throw it.
I guess I am going to take some late night and get it all down in one shot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
make sure you take all your plants and go through them well to make sure your not getting fish with them. I found a platy fry in my bucket of plants i removed from my tank 3 days later, and then found a oto in the bucket about 4 days after that. The otto was white as a ghost when i tossed him back in the tank but I think he made it....or disappeared forever in the 120gal.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Yeah, I second the point that oblongshrimp made. I've accidentally grabbed plants out that had shrimps attached and they ended up dying b/c I left it out for so long while rescaping. I was also doing a small water change and trim a couple nights ago and I must have accidentally siphoned out one of my rummynose tetras. If that's what happened, he's probably fertilizing our shrubs and flowers in front of the house, in a mannor of speaking...

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode