Python Mishaps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Python Mishaps

I know I can't be the only one to have done this. Despite having a headache and feeling out of it today, I was darn determined to change fish tank water and got everything set up. It went well until I accidentally flipped the switch at the wrong time. Anyone else that has had this happen can appreciate the kick these Pythons have when they shoot a stream of water straight up to the ceiling...

Everything was swiftly brought back under control, but I couldn't help standing there and laughing at myself. Moral of the story: wait until the headache passes before changing fish water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:05 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
You bet! I imagine most everyone in here has had one or two.

I dont have a switch, but I now make sure I have something holding the hose in the tank now before I reverse the water flow. I shouldn't have just casually walked into the other room either, I shoulda moved hastily!!

Doesn't take long to soak a throw rug, carpet, an sofa!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
haha amen to that ... now I run like a mad man from the sink to the tank to make sure pressure doesn't shoot water all over the place. The worst is when you hit the wall ... you've gotta wipe so well to make sure you don't have water marks all over the paint. I've soaked carpets through pretty good too

Is Hokey Pokey Really What It's all about ?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A couple of weeks ago I had the valve break when I went to turn on the water flow. Thing just came apart in my hand. Lots of water real quick.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Last month I had a wash cloth fall into the sink. My wife like to drap them on the part seperating the two basins. Well it plug the drain and I didn't notice until I heard water hitting the floor from the living room. I walked into the kitchen to find both basins full and water running onto the floor. I caught it before too much got to the floor but it was one hell of a mess.

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Yep, I've had the python come out of the tank while filling. Usually it was about a quart or so. I've had more problems with the valve breaking, and spraying water all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint27 View Post
Last month I had a wash cloth fall into the sink. My wife like to drap them on the part seperating the two basins. Well it plug the drain and I didn't notice until I heard water hitting the floor from the living room. I walked into the kitchen to find both basins full and water running onto the floor. I caught it before too much got to the floor but it was one hell of a mess.
I've had this problem in my slop sink as well.
I was able to buy at the big orange home improvement place a 6" piece of Plastic pipe where there are slits running from the bottom to 3/4's of the way up. This way a dish towel can't clog the whole thing.

It was worth the 3 or so bucks.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

had that happen once when i was filling, my 1 year old son thought it would be fun to pull on the hose while dad's back was turned. he got a big kick out of the water spraying everywhere, me, not so much.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I have mine drain straight into my bath tub in my apartment so I have plenty of time to catch any blockages before it overflows. To refill I have it hooked up to my bathroom sink. I use a suction cup clasp to hold the other end in the tank and then go and turn on the water in the bathroom. I can casually walk to the tank before the water starts coming out (I do not close any valves). The gravel vac in the tank will float as all the air is pushed out but as soon as the water comes it sinks back into place without me having to mess with it. I have had the hose break off the valves to many times to deal with them anymore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I put a spring clamp on the edge of the tank to drape the python over, otherwise it doesn't want to stay put. Never had any problems with the python once I got into a "system."

We won't talk about the smaller siphon vac I was using one time though, well maybe we will . I was merrily trimming plants and such and didn't even notice that the tube was still in the tank, but the other end was not in the bucket. Put about 4-5 gallons of water on my hardwood floor and in the padding under the area carpet. That was also the day I broke my second UVS unit as it was sitting in a box on the floor with a bunch of other stuff and I was in a panic to get it all out of the way and run to get the wet/dry shop vac. Threw it all through the door into the den. The den has a concrete floor. Oopsie!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Well... Other than the periodic getting too distracted to notice the tank is full, I haven't had any accidents. I have 2 ends - the ubiquous gravel vac, and a "special end" I use most of the time. I used to, when doing the w/c, lower the glass on the end so it would stay in the tank. Shortly after getting my eheim, I was eyeballing the u-tube and hit upon an ingenious solution - attach one to a section of tubing and use that for w/c. It works. Just hook the sucker over the tank rim. It isn't going anywhere.

I'm still using the original valve I got with a tetra set some...12? years ago. It actually works better than the Lees I picked up a few months ago for the siphon used in my kids' tanks. Now... I did have issues with adaptor/faucet incompatability which lead me on a trip to Lowes for a special adaptor for the infernal faucet (confound price pfister) and while I was there, I picked up a portable dishwasher quick disconnect.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode