Marsilea quadrifolia? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Marsilea quadrifolia?

Anyone here have experience with Marsilea, 4 leaf clover, as a ground cover? In the database there is only very brief information. Love it, hate it? Easy, hard, worth the trouble? There are two sites that promote the plant, Florida Driftwood from a sales point of view, and Rhonda Wilson's site, Natural Aquariums, (she also writes a column for TFH and is a member of the plant club in Arizona) where she calls it her favorite foreground plant.

Personally, I like the plant, but it grows slow for me. It is a alternative foreground plant that seems to be rarely discussed.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:40 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm growing the marselia minuta version now,
and it is doing well.
Not as fast as glosso, in fact, not as fast as a snail....
but it is growing.

I really like the dark green of it.

Maybe in about 6 months to a year I'll have a nice lawn of it.

I run pressurized co2 and do minimal dosing.
Jay
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have it, and like it in my 125.
It was slow to start, but then really took off on me.
I had to rip a bunch out due to algae issues, but it grows, it grows well, and stays low in medium light.
Shame it doesn't keep it's 4 leaves.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I love this plant. Thanks to Bob from the forums, I've got a nice little lawn growing in my 29g. I've got high light (110w), but this plant grows well in the shade too (if not a little taller).

Growth is slow (even with high light/CO2) as mentioned at first....but speeds up. After all, I wanted a foreground that didn't require daily attention

Also, I get a couple 3-4 leavers sprouting up every once in a while!

Lastly, this plant also seems to be doing well in my 7g nano with 13W and Shultz's aquatic soil! Again, really slow growth but steady and healthy.

One planting tip: I received this plant (thanks Bob) in big, thick clumps. I would suggest seperating into 2/3 stem "chunks" and planting them individually. They will spread quick enough. I tried planting a large clump of thickness, and it just kindof choked itself into an algae ball. IMO anyways
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post
One planting tip: I received this plant (thanks Bob) in big, thick clumps. I would suggest seperating into 2/3 stem "chunks" and planting them individually. They will spread quick enough. I tried planting a large clump of thickness, and it just kindof choked itself into an algae ball. IMO anyways
Good tip Ernie.
I ended up doing the same thing. I seperated a bunch like glosso plantings, but got lazy at the end and tried to plant it like lawn sod, big mistake. The individual stems spread nicely, sod, ripped out due to algae.
And thanks to Bob for my carpet as well.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Interesting. There are I guess around three different sub species used, and they all appear to have the same growth rate. I get the plant potted, and before I start selling it I wanted a little more info, or I guess confirmation of my own experience with it! First time I grew it was several years ago and I was quite disappointed when the four lobes of the four leaf clover turned to one or two! I thought I was doing something wrong! But the four lobe is only the emersed growth form. People grow it around the edges of ponds where it looks real nice.

Quote:
I have it, and like it in my 125.
I bet like Glosso it would grow faster in a much more shallow tank. I have trouble with most short foreground plants in my 100 gallon and I have 4 watts/gallon. In a 10 or 20 gallon long they grow like weeds with 2watts/gallon or less.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

I also found that it needed to be cut into short sections that are tediously planted individually. It will then send out runners from each node. The runners tend to run in a straight line until they hit something, like the side of the tank. Once it gets established it doesn't take long to overgrow itself and become a mess. Then it has to be ripped out and started all over. This is fun?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Robert, its like a locomotive. Slow slow then bam, can't stop it. Very durable. Grows well in middle/low light. I think thats where its best. Very easy to grow with CO2 and good for Discus. Does become a tight detrius catcher eventually. But that takes a good while.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have M. hirsuta (courtesy of rain-). I like it in my 110 litre tank (with 2 x 18 W fluorescents). My experience confirms the locomotiveness and the individual stem planting. For me, the plant has made also the 4-lobed leaves every now and then, esp. during the summer months when it seemed to really take off.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
I bet like Glosso it would grow faster in a much more shallow tank. I have trouble with most short foreground plants in my 100 gallon and I have 4 watts/gallon. In a 10 or 20 gallon long they grow like weeds with 2watts/gallon or less.
I really don't want it to grow faster.
Like Ernie, I wanted something for a foreground that I didn't have to maintain every week.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have it as the foreground plant in my 60 gallon tank. Looks great, easy to maintain, slow growth, doesn't need a lot of light and if it gets too dense I just snip with my scissors and take some sections out to thin. My apistos LOVE it because the small space between the leaves and the substrate is perfect to hide in. They have raised several batches of babies in this community tank.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
i have some for sale if anyone wants any.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
I have found that this plant will produce four leafers underwater if the light is restricted. i have a bunch of it growing in high light, but some of the runners found their way into my blue ram "house" and sprouted in there. All of the resulting leaves were four lobed. I have since moved the entire bunch into my 10 gallon, which has limited light (a few old t8's) and I get mostly four leafers about 1-1.5 inches tall. This is also my favrorite foreground plant.

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

I think it's my favourite forground plant as well, definately easier than glosso in terms of maintenance. Like others I also noticed it grows into more leaves in low light. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

I used it as the main foreground plant here with a bit of dwarf sag behind it. Filled out nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode