Petsmart pricematching - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Petsmart pricematching

In the past, we posted our experiences getting Petsmart to pricematch.
At times, some of us were lucky enough to get them to match other vendors' on-line prices. They pretty consistently matched their own on-line prices.

I recently needed to buy a heater, so I figured I'd just print off PetSmart's on-line prices, and take them into the store. I was surprised and disappointed to see that when I pulled up a product at their site, it was presented in a manner that the price did not print out. So I was not able to get a printout to bring into the store with me.

Did a quick search, but didn't see a thread (at least in this forum). Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Well if the price did not print out you could always use Prt Scr key then paste it in paint and print it that way.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
eds

Yeah, I guess I could.
But since it was a relatively low-priced item and I needed to get it right away, I didn't want to go through too much effort, and didn't want to risk any hassle at the store.
ISTR that their pages previously printed out fine with the prices.
I suspected that if this was a change in how their webpages are presented, that it might signal a change in their stores' willingness to match.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've had issues in the past getting them to match, even when its their own online prices (same issue with Wal-Mart and their own online prices). I was basically told that they are online-only prices and that they can't match that in-store because there's overhead as opposed to online, where there is none. Truth be told, I haven't shopped for anything fish-related at Petsmart for well over a year. I get what I need online and occasionally a LFS if I'm in a bind and don't mind paying 2x as much.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
I've had issues in the past getting them to match, even when its their own online prices (same issue with Wal-Mart and their own online prices). I was basically told that they are online-only prices and that they can't match that in-store because there's overhead as opposed to online, where there is none. Truth be told, I haven't shopped for anything fish-related at Petsmart for well over a year. I get what I need online and occasionally a LFS if I'm in a bind and don't mind paying 2x as much.
I agree that there is a difference with online and the LFS. you cannot expect the store to be able to match online. There are so many cost involved to owning a store and having staff, paying rent, decorating store for client's sake, etc. the online store might be a few people in a shabby wharehouse or even someones basement. A store you can look around, talk to the staff and get your stuff right away. There is no comparison. though I do buy online, I believe in supporting my LFS. We should all or risk having them diappear.

110 gallon Discus tank
65 gallon Discus tank
30 gallon Discus tank
20 gallon standby tank
10 gallon quarantine
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds View Post
In the past, we posted our experiences getting Petsmart to pricematch.
At times, some of us were lucky enough to get them to match other vendors' on-line prices. They pretty consistently matched their own on-line prices.

I recently needed to buy a heater, so I figured I'd just print off PetSmart's on-line prices, and take them into the store. I was surprised and disappointed to see that when I pulled up a product at their site, it was presented in a manner that the price did not print out. So I was not able to get a printout to bring into the store with me.

Did a quick search, but didn't see a thread (at least in this forum). Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

You have to click on the product, and under the pull-down menu, select the exact product you want.

Before, it'd list, for example, "50w = $10.99, 100w = $15.99, etc.." Now you have to pull down and select 50w for it to show $10.99.

And it's PetSmart's corporate policy to price match their online price. Call the 1-800# and ask. Get the CSR's name. If the manage or cashier at the store refuses, tell them to call and ask. There was a store near here that refused to pricematch for me. I told them to call. Now they always price match. At least for me they do.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Petsmart has matched their online prices with me every single time I have asked.

You have to select the price (in the drop down thing ) the print page.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
This is from the PS site:

Pricing
All prices are in U.S. dollars. Our prices are set independently of the PetSmart store locations. As an Internet company, PetSmart.com is committed to bringing you, our customer, the best overall prices available online.

I personally feel it is a stretch to expect them to price match. They have a lot more to pay for locally, expenses, etc.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
eds

I'll check it out sometime.
I readily admit that I'm not the most computer savvy person out there.
But it seemed as tho when I would click on the specific product, the page would come up with the price (and some other info) in red.
Then, when I printed the page, the stuff in red did not print.

The other problem is, you never know if your local store is going to stock what is offered on-line.
In my case, I ended up buying a heater that was not listed on-line.

And while I agree with the folks suggesting it is not unreasonable for brick and mortar stores to not match on-line prices, I'm not sure that really applies to PetSmart matching its own on-line prices.
They are the same entity, and they get some benefit from having a customer both check out their site and walk into their store.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds View Post
I'll check it out sometime.
And while I agree with the folks suggesting it is not unreasonable for brick and mortar stores to not match on-line prices, I'm not sure that really applies to PetSmart matching its own on-line prices.
They are the same entity, and they get some benefit from having a customer both check out their site and walk into their store.
But they even state plainly that prices are set independently. What you aren't factoring in is the shipping cost YOU would have to pay, etc. I think its great if they choose to match, but they arent the same entity, thus having different price points based on their respective overhead rates.

I do see your side of this however..........

chaz
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I see it as a form of "sticking it to the man" so to speak.

They are a giant evil soulless corporation. I worked there, I know firsthand. They have very high profit margins, and are a motley crew of a**holes, at least as far as the managers and higher-ups are concerned.

They kill more fish than anyone else, except Petco and perhaps the Japanese fishing industry. Lol, that last part was a joke, hahaha get it? Eh, I tried.

The few customers who are aware of online price matching are probably very few, amd woudn't be likely to put any sizeable dent in their already huge profits.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
I see it as a form of "sticking it to the man" so to speak.

They are a giant evil soulless corporation. I worked there, I know firsthand. They have very high profit margins, and are a motley crew of a**holes, at least as far as the managers and higher-ups are concerned.

They kill more fish than anyone else, except Petco and perhaps the Japanese fishing industry. Lol, that last part was a joke, hahaha get it? Eh, I tried.

The few customers who are aware of online price matching are probably very few, amd woudn't be likely to put any sizeable dent in their already huge profits.
Exactly. This is not some family LFS you are pressuring into price-matching, this a huge corporation that even very few customers know about this whole price-matching business. After all, Petsmart couldn't give a flying %$^& about the welfare of their animals, as long as the money is rolling in then they're satisfied.

I've gotten them to price-match items according to Big Al's prices too. It largely depends on the person behind the register, for example I had a price match for the Primafix and Melaxfix kit (which has both of them in a box), however Petsmart didn't have it so I got both individually and lady let it slide. Then last time I went in, another person made a whole fiasco over something from their own website. She called the manager and he ended up refusing. I just left the item and went out the store.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've used their online price matching to my advantage. Will be doing so for my XP2 as well. Not once have they put up a fight about it. All I brought in was the page printed out with the price circled. Manager even took care of me.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=Raul-7;327011]Exactly. This is not some family LFS you are pressuring into price-matching, this a huge corporation that even very few customers know about this whole price-matching business. After all, Petsmart couldn't give a flying %$^& about the welfare of their animals, as long as the money is rolling in then they're satisfied.
QUOTE]

You could make that statement about any retail corporation. It's all about the money.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
Exactly. This is not some family LFS you are pressuring into price-matching, this a huge corporation that even very few customers know about this whole price-matching business. After all, Petsmart couldn't give a flying %$^& about the welfare of their animals, as long as the money is rolling in then they're satisfied.
You could make that statement about any retail corporation. It's all about the money.
True. But there are many wrong and right ways about reaching that goal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode