Planting a 29 Gallon tall? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a 29 gallon tall tank set up in my office at work. It has a 55 watt PC , a whisper model 3 triad filter and 2mm quartz gravel. I want to plant it with some overgrowth from my 75 gal tank that I have at home. I was thinking about putting some Red Rubin sword, Cryptocoryne wendtii, wisteria, and foxtail. I have an abundance of these plants at home, so they'd be free. The fish are 2 bala sharks,2 dwarf gouramies, 5 rosy barbs,1 pleco.

Heres the deal; I can add another 15watt strip light which would give me 70 watts,which is about 2.4 watts/gal. I really don't want to add co2 on this tank because I don't have much time to fuss with it at work. I don't mind adding plant fertilizer, thats easy enough. I dont mind spending some time to set it up, but I don't have much time to maintain it.Do you guys think it'll work or should I forget about planting the office tank? Any suggestions to keep it as simple as possible?Do you think Flourish excell would help at all? How bout peat in the substrate? All suggestions are welcome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmmmm. If you can't do CO2 (gas method), then I would reccomend flourish excel. I've never used it, but from reviews from my friends, it makes a noticeable difference. Have you thought about Hagens CO2 system? This is something you would have to do once of month, but you could also just use flourish excel for CO2 as well.

Peat in the substrate... It would work but it would also be work. I would get some sort of plant substrate like flora base or flourite or something.

If you end up choosing not to do plants (b/c of work), then I would reccomend an african cichlid tank. Their colors are amazing, and if you want, some people are even making "fake reefs" with african cichlids. They put fake corals and a coral backround with white sand and actinic light with african cichlids. It isn't something I would do, but whatever works...

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 05:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
haha..
I am in the same predicament , my wife wants me to set up a tank for her in her office but I know who will be doing all the work.
I am thinkin of keepin it simple as well ( mainly cuz she told me no yeast and especially no CO2 tanks...)

I think that if we kept the lighting low... use a good flourite base , and plant according to those conditions ( Crypts , Java Moss , etc. ) then it would be a low maintenance tank as these plants dont grow fast ... and it should do fine...

This oughtta be interesting...

Im going to do a 20 Gallon Long.... more acreage for the dollar ... Im cheap... :hehe::hehe:

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
Co2 isn't completely out of the question. I might even get a canister filter to conserve CO2. Since I already have a Filstar xp3 at home on my 75, I'd probably get a Filstar xp1, so I can interchange the media and the baskets are the same size. I can get one of those for under $60. Do you think That 2.4 watts/gal is enough or should I try to ODNO the 24" strip fixture? I think theres only an 18" bulb in it now but I could probably fit a 24" bulb plus ODNO and get a reflector from AH supply. The Flourite is a good Idea, that would be free since I got a bag of it sitting in my closet. A 29 tall doesnt give me much floor space for planting. Thats why I want to put some tall plants in it to try and fill the height. It could also be a problem trying to get the light to the bottom. Has any one seen the CO2 bottles they have at Walmart in the sporting goods dept?I think they're for paint ball guns and hold about a pound of CO2. Would they work with a standard CO2 regulator? It looks like the same fitting except it has a push valve in it similar to a tire valve. Keep the suggestions going!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode