To cover or not? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do you like glass ceilings?
My tanks are glass covered 20 37.04%
I use a hood, that's enough 21 38.89%
I prefer an open top 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
A few days ago I managed to break the hinged glasses which cover half of my 100 gal tank ops: so this might be a good time for the question... do you cover or not?

I see the following advantages of living under cover:
  • Hood, lamps, electric & electronic stays dry
    Less evaporation and moldy drywalls
    Less CO2 loss
    No dried pets on your carpet
And figure these advantages without glass covers:
  • Less reflection of light
    Convenience - no need to remove them,
    Can't break if they are not there :?
Any other pros or cons?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I agree with you about what you stated. But rate of evaporation in an uncovered tank can be much more than one might think. My 29 gallon tank is covered, my 5.5 is not. More water evaporates from my 5.5 than from my 29.

George

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wasserpest,

I cover, to many times I have seem the effects of carpet on fish... :shock: I also suspect that having a cover prevents excessive gaseous exchange.... I am trying to keep what little C02 I have in the water...hehehe

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with George. It is a constant battle for me to keep my tanks topped off in Colorado. Besides evaporation, I hate to lose my 9 inch Bala Shark.

Robert
ESTJ (v)
EPC Member #27

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I forgot to ask-

Is there a better solution to those stupid plastic or hard rubber hinges that come with the glass covers????

I would like to find something more flexible!

Robert
ESTJ (v)
EPC Member #27

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Perhaps it would be easier to slide them back and forth. Add some kind of tracks where the front half can be pushed backwards over the back half.
Just an idea :idea:

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 06:18 AM

No jumpers from my aquarium so I just have it open with the lights overhead. So far none of the SAE's taken an unneeded dive.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

I have mine mostly uncovered right now. Before I started keeping plants (about 6 weeks), I always kept a cover on, but I have such hard water that they are severly coated with hard water marks, and greatly cut down the amount of light getting into the tank. So I just made a fish blocker for the back of the tank, and if they jump up they will just hit the canapy and fall back in the water.

Evapoation is INSANE !!!!!!! Especially this time of the year ( winter in the northern mid-west)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shakey, where is home?

Robert
ESTJ (v)
EPC Member #27

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
But if they hit the canopy, won't the fish touch your bulb..thus an explosion?
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I always remove those stupid hinges and just leave the two glass pieces. Much easier that way for me.

George

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

And then you slide the front piece backwards? Or do you take it out each time?

Quote:
But if they hit the canopy, won't the fish touch your bulb..thus an explosion?
Depends on what kind of lamp and what kind of fish... Normal fluorescents will probably be okay, but if a big pleco wraps himself around a hot 55 Watt PC bulb... hmmm. If you'd use halogen or incandescent lighting they would shatter for sure.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I keep mine covered due to evaporation.

I however have the sliding system that Wasser was talking about (I have never seen the hinge locally). Anyways.. it's two pieces of glass that sit above each other in a 'w' channel with a once piece with two 'w's back to back in the center. It works good except the pieces of glass are about 1/2" small than my tank and sometime fall in if I am not careful.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Vinlo, can you post a pic? Did you buy it or made it yourself?

Robert
ESTJ (v)
EPC Member #27

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here it is, I tried to find it on the net but I couldn't find much info.

I bought two of these tops years ago.

I am guessing you could buy the plastic channel at a hardware/woodworking type store or at home depot/ace/true value whatever. It works well as long as you stay on top of cleaning the glass.

The channels sit on the lip of the black aquarium lip.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode