New Tank need Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New Tank need Help

Hi, I just setup a 20 gal planted tank with 30lbs Eco-C, on Sat Oct 21 I added some plants (sorry Im bad with the plant names, still learning the plant side) , 7 head and tail light tetras, 3 neons, and 1 zebra danio (the neons and Danio came from the 55 which is going Reef Very Soon. See pic for plants.

I dose with excel every other day, and 2x a week I add seachems NPK.
I have 36 watts CF 6,700 light.

A few days ago I started to get green algea on the heater and plants.

Tonight I noticed the fish acting stressed out, so I tested my water and I found

PH=7.8
Amm= 0
Nitrite=.25
NiTRATE= 5

Might do DIY Co2, or use the Canister soon
Any ideas what I can do to help the tank and its cycle, or just let it ride out the cycle for now?

PIC:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Don't add anymore fish. You might want to do a 50% water change. I'd say ride it out otherwise. What does the algae look like?

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
With that much light and no CO2, algae will grow. Get the CO2 going ASAP, disperse it through a powerhead, and get some more fast growing plants. They will help out compete the algae for nutrients. LIke Sergio said, change some of the water for the cycling problem and keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite readings. Hope this helps you out!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
You say you've got a 55g already up and running? Take some filter media from that, or even gravel, or even a decoration, and put it in this tank or in the filter for this tank. You need beneficial bacteria bad, or you will experience some fish loss.

The likely reason for algae is the nitrite/ammonia spikes. Algae can consume nitrogen in these forms more efficiently than plants can.

Some other suggestions.....put more plants in! The #1 mistake I've noticed in new tanks is not enough plants, and you are no exception Preferably, more stem plants that are fast growers. (like snoopfish said!)

Also yes, do more water changes. I'd say once per day, unless you get a good source of some established bacteria in there.

Quote:
Might do DIY Co2, or use the Canister soon
by "use the canister", do you mean go pressurized?

I would say that with excel dosing and good survace movement, you shouldn't really need to go the co2 route. Just my opinion!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You should add a LOT more fast growers to the tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ok, thanks for the great advise. until I get my canister filled with CO2, i will go with DIY, at least thats better than nothing.

I will also change 50% water and stop to pick up some more plants.

Thanks again for the great advise!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode