Tried to grow gloss emerged, it dried up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tried to grow gloss emerged, it dried up

Yup, I growed it in a normal pot, and it dried up after a week. Is it because the pot has a hole on the bottom to get rid of excess water, and this plants need that excess water?.

What if I cover the hole?, wouldn't I develop algae or something?
Tell me how should I do it please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
It either burned due to too much heat or the substrate it was planted in dryed out. Search for Ebb and Flow on the net and that will give you a basic idea of how hydroponic/immersed culture works.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
It is really easy to grow, just keep the soil damp, like water it daily.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
A way I learned from a fellow plant cultivator:

Use a wide shallow container (like a tray), fill the bottom with mud/laterite/soil, top with cottonwool and put the submersed glosso on it. Keep it soggy all the time. Give enough bright light, but no direct sunlight (this implies to hot tropics) or use a shading net to regulate. This way the submersed glosso will be kept moist enough for it to morph into sturdier emmersed form without making it dry out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This then means that a normal pot with hole int he bottom is used?.
If I put cotton on the surface, how will the glosso get its nutrients from the soil?, I imagine the cotton is to retain moisture.

I live in Mexico, so it is still to damn sunny in winter, and I thought it needed to much light, therefore I exposed it directly to sunlight.

Please answer to my doubts above. I still have glosso in my tank, I decided to cultivate some emmersed because my nano suddenly got heat issues and the glosso didnt like warm temps, but now its under 24c and its beginig to thrive.

I also bought some liliaeposis brasiliensis, as you know, it is a slow growth plant, and I wanna try to grow it emmersed. Will it grow faster emersed?, same advice?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Pot with no holes, tray-like. Thin layer of cotton, as moisture retainer. Keep damp, initially you need to keep it soaked because your glosso is still in submersed form and will take some time to morph. Its hard to say about light level and such, condition from place to place vary, it is sunny and humid all year long around here.
Lileaopsis also grows the same emmersed. Around here there are many plants and almost neverending supply thanks to emmersed culture. Plants tends to grow faster when emmersed, but slight problem would arise when you want to get them back to submersed status. In general transport up to the stall/store, emmersed form plants tend to withstand better than the limpy submersed form.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode