Snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Snails

Hey guys, a couple weeks ago I started up a new tank with the majority of stem plants. I'm certain that these brownish snails hitchiked their way into my aquarium. I can tell that it will become over populated soon. Are these good? Bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
They can be good as they will eat algae, but watch them in case they decide to start eating plant leaves. Depending on the type, they can multiply quite fast, but you can usually keep them at bay by just removing a few off the side glass every day, or if you make sure you take a lot out during water changes. If you don't want to do that, you can buy some loaches.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
ok cool, I figured they would be good to clean off algae and what not so I'm going to leave them in there. But I know that they are going to multiply like crazy! I can already count like 20-30 small snails. I'm assuming some eggs got left behind on a leafor something.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
CAF

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good Snails or Bad Snails...

depends on the species. If they are the common pond snails, apple snails, or bladder snails they can devaste your plants. If they are Ramshorns, MTS, or a few other species they can be good for the tank. Pics would help identify them and let you know if you need to erradicate them or not.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have dozens of ramshorn snails and mts and never have glass algae, my snails go on my plants a lot. never eat a thing

~29gallon Freshwater tank~~~~~~~~
~~10Gallon Freshwater planted tank~~
~~~10Gallon Saltwater reef tank~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~ Michael ~~~~~~~~~

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Ditto qazplm25 - I have MTS, Ramshorn, and even pond snails and I have had them for years. I've never seen them eating the plants.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Sadly I must say that I do have snails that eat my plants. Not to where my tank is bare but they do munch on the Rotala leaves. Whether it's the ramshorns or pond snails, I cannot say 100% for sure. My MTS are nice little guys who do their job very well. Too bad they don't like to breed quickly in my tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode