Help with flowerin Aponogeton ulvaceus. (pic attached) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello i need help with a Aponogeton ulvaceus, it has recently flowerd 3 stems in all with a 4th on the way . Do the flowers turn in to new plantlets ? or do they just die back once they have finished, here is a pic of 1 of the flowers:
Pete...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you take a small paintbrush and brush over the flower, you can self pollinate them. Otherwise, they will eventually die off and fall backinto the water. I've never successfully managed to get anything from it, usually my flowers fall off in a fatal accident (such as dropping the hood on it...) Good luck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

I am told you can snip off the flowers, dry out the small seeds and grow from seed. I am going to try this on another A. specie that flowered for me.

Bob

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:58 PM
PT Biologist

I have raised, and am currently raising, lace plant seedlings. I use the paint brush method and I also use the "leave it be" method. Both have a tendency to produce seeds but the paint brush method produces more. The real key however, is to make sure you protect the stem as it can dry out and kill the flower before the seeds have set. If you do this and the flower is fertile you will see the inflorescence change from small flowers to seeds. The flower will then start to rot away and the seeds will sprout and float around in the tank. The next thing you’ll know is you will have little plants popping up all through your tank.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've successfully produced seedlings from my aponogetons before. Simply use the paintbrush method mentioned earlier, or even your fingers work, to pollenate the tiny little flowers. Over time, each successfully pollenated little flower will swell up producing a pointy green fruit about 1/4" - 1/2" diameter each. Just leave'em alone and they eventually split open and drop 1/4" green oval shaped seeds, which end up all over the tank, quickly germinating within a day or so. You'll have a crapload of seedlings all over the place! :shock:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Great stuff thx for the quick replys. Also will the seeds sink or float and will any fish find them a tasty treat :shock: . The biggest fish in my tank is Boesmani rainbow fish.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Great stuff thx for the quick replys. Also will the seeds sink or float and will any fish find them a tasty treat :shock: . The biggest fish in my tank is Boesmani rainbow fish.
Both.

Probably not.

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thx again .
SCMurphy whats your flower from on your avatar ?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:57 PM
PT Biologist

That the first flower this year from my 9 year old Lace plants. I have three that have been flowering since October, one is one of last years seedlings. Two new flowers are rising up this week. The scent is very pleasant.

Sean

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 08:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
By brushing the flowers you spread the pollen and and then the flower will turn to seed. The seeds will sink to the bottom and germinate if you have bright light. Nitrate has to be present in the water or substrate for the seeds to germinate.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reviving this thread to ask a related question (great info upthread, guys!)

Anyway, I'm new to the lace leaf, and I've got one flower on an insanely long stem which is taking over the surface of the aquarium, and another one on the way. My question is, does trimming the flower have any adverse effect on the plant? And where is best to trim it? Close to the plant?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is the fruit edible? :lol:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Cutting off the flower stalk has no adverse affect on the plant, in fact it will cause more leaf growth. You cut off the whole stalk at the base by the bulb.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 AM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda huggenkiss
Reviving this thread to ask a related question (great info upthread, guys!)

Anyway, I'm new to the lace leaf, and I've got one flower on an insanely long stem which is taking over the surface of the aquarium, and another one on the way.
That's part of the reason I moved my lace plants intoa 24 inch tall aquarium (56 gallon column tank). :roll: They were completely suffocating the 30 gallon tank I was keeping them in.

Sean

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
That's part of the reason I moved my lace plants intoa 24 inch tall aquarium (56 gallon column tank). They were completely suffocating the 30 gallon tank I was keeping them in.
Dang. :?

Now you said plants. Plural. Did you have more than one in a 30g? In your experience, do you think I'll have a problem with just 1?

(oh, and thanks for the reply, Robert!)

Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode