Don't you just love it! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Don't you just love it!

When you send someone a RAOK and never receive a thank you! Like your time and effort is worth nothing? Or you spent a while With detail response to a newbies dilemma, never to here from them again! You guys who stick around helping others, and not bitching like me, are saints!!!!

Evergreen,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i appreciate you and your kindness in helping others
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
When you send someone a RAOK and never receive a thank you! Like your time and effort is worth nothing? Or you spent a while With detail response to a newbies dilemma, never to here from them again! You guys who stick around helping others, and not bitching like me, are saints!!!!

Evergreen,
lol, yup. I got a ton of help from people on this forum and always sent follow-up PMs to thank some of them or to update them on my situation...then I got sucked in and now I'm here everyday!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Time to look like a computer illiterate: What's an RAOK?

I know I shouldn't, but I just like writing in complete sentences! I can't help it!

But I do try to say thanks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe2Can View Post
Time to look like a computer illiterate: What's an RAOK?
Random Act of Kindness
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I cant imagine why someone wouldnt say thank you. I think I am at the other end of the spectrum here. Jentheplantgeek sent me a very generous package of plants and I think I have said thank you on atleast ten different occasions. I have never been on a forum where this type of activity happens. Usually I would have been charged full price for this RAOK. I love this forum!

but anyway I thank you for being so kind and hope you dont become discouraged.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Evergreen,

I feel your pain. I too have given plants away (mainly to locals here in our beautiful state ) and taken the time to answer newer folks in the hobby questions about keeping and breeding fish. My results have also been mixed. I've given multiple groups of plants to folks I've never heard from again (although they did say thanks upon receiving them) and given pointers on fish breeding that appear to have been ignored. On the flip side, I have met some great people through this forum.

I wish there had been venues such as this site in the seventies when I began keeping fish. Our modern information age is wonderful. Don't let the unappreciative ones get you down. If you save only a few from wasting money and killing fish and plants like I have done over the decades, you have accomplished a lot. Keep the faith .

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I fully understand where you're coming from ,but you know sometimes some of these newbies are just kids who don't have the social skills to respond properly.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
forget about thank you, how about just some acknowledgment at all?
I sent 4 plant packs on Tuesday; have yet to hear from the recipients.
how long should I wait till I PM them just to see if they got the stuff?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
forget about thank you, how about just some acknowledgment at all?
I sent 4 plant packs on Tuesday; have yet to hear from the recipients.
how long should I wait till I PM them just to see if they got the stuff?
These things are going out priority with free delivery confirmation. If I don't hear within a day or two they will be hearing from me. Thank yous are nice, but I just want to make sure they received the plants they expected and not a package of mush. I sent one out on Monday for instance which apparently took 5 days to travel two states away as it arrived Friday.

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i thanked someone so much that they told me to stfu
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
I fully understand where you're coming from ,but you know sometimes some of these newbies are just kids who don't have the social skills to respond properly.
Good point. Did cross my mind. And I guess its easy to forget the Random part of it. Today thinking about the post I thought that the spirit of giving should not have strings attached. And its great to meet so many caring people here.

O.K I'll remove the sandels now
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
that the spirit of giving should not have strings attached.
That's the Ticket right there.

I've got my own to share, but I just remind myself that its an Act Of Kindness. I do it for its own sake, not expecting it to be "Appreciated". The majority of the Folks here do Genuinely Appreciate things and it shows. But some--its hard to tell--and they're not just "kids". Some are adults and have been around here for more than long enough. They're just Takers. But they are the one's that remind us of why we don't behave that way, and how much a simple Thank You can mean to the other person.

Chin Up! Its All Good.....

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:50 PM

My 2-cents worth here -- I'm very happy to have found this forum. I've avoided chat rooms and forums my whole life, primarily because people now-a-days are so shallow and "plastic". It ircks me to no end. BUT, this forum has been a real breath of fresh air. I'm hooked...as in "addicted". Why!?... because of the kinds of replies I get to my stupid questions. People have taken the time to GIVE without having the slightest idea who I am. I value that...alot.

Character counts!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode