Tank background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Tank background

I was just wondering what kind of backgrounds you guys use for your planted tanks. Do you paint it, or use a plastic background, or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I use black trash bags.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Colored posterboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 10-28-2006 at 07:15 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you want the modern look, it is really neat to crinkle aluminum foil and then spread it back out over some cardboard. You can use it like that for a silver back-ground, or spray paint it for color.

If you spray one color from one 45 degree angle, and then spray another from the opposite 45 degree angle, then as you walk by you get color change. Cool for kids tanks.

However, for my planted tanks, I like the look of the black trash bag.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
___
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I went with a new product that is vinyl, and has self stick adhesive. You apply it like window tint. Since it sticks to the glass you dont get water behind it. Comes in blue or black. Mine turned out great. After it was applied, I just went around the edges with a razor blade to trim the excess, and it was a perfect fit.

Oceanvisions - 12" High-Deep Ocean Blue (Petscape)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
colored posterboard
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Painted mine with rustoleum black enamel. Haven't had a regret!

Michael
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
I went with a new product that is vinyl, and has self stick adhesive. You apply it like window tint. Since it sticks to the glass you dont get water behind it. Comes in blue or black. Mine turned out great. After it was applied, I just went around the edges with a razor blade to trim the excess, and it was a perfect fit.

Oceanvisions - 12" High-Deep Ocean Blue (Petscape)
It also comes in forest green and Mirrored! I have the Oceanvisions mirrored vinyl and it looks fantastic . . . gives alot of depth to the tank - almost like there is no background at all. You could also fix a real mirror to the back of the tank if it's not too big. I've seen an Oceanic Hex 30g whose back 3 sides were made of mirror (siliconed together, like instead of glass) and it looked fabulous.

Eheim Ecco 2234 - Eheim Pro II 2026 - Eheim Pre-filters on an Oceanic 70 g planted fancy goldfish tank
Eheim Pimp Club member #221
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Initially, I had painted a background which was basically various shades of blue, and it looked very good until I actually got the thing up on a stand... Now it has no background 'cause the fish in that tank can see the fish in the tank behind it and they like to flirt with each other (female bettas in one, male bettas in the other, divided)

I still like it, though.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Painted it black. By the time the plants get big you can't see the background anyway!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Painted mine with rustoleum black enamel. Haven't had a regret!

Michael
Did the same thing with all of my tanks, planted or not. I used the "Satin" finish.

Just wanted to add:
ONE can covered a 30" and a 20" iron stand, the backs of 5 10 gallon tanks, 1 2.5 gallon, 1 30 gallon long, 1 29 gallon, 1 20 gallon long, the trim of the 20 gallon long, and I STILL have about 1/2 the can left over.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
why do tanks even need a background?
my 29gal has a mirror behind it and
my 10gal is intentionally see thru

admittedly I'm working on a moss wall
background for my 29gal, but that
won't be ready for a few Months

here's a web sight with rocks & backgrounds;

more stuff

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:31 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Flat black Formica glued to a piece of Masonite.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i like the look of no background and see thru.

but i would like to see some pictures if you guys have them.
i was wondering what a black background would look like.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
A background makes the plants, and fish stand out even more, and IMO just gives the tank a much better look.
Now if you had a tank as a center room divider then naturally you wouldnt want a background, but any tank agaist a wall benefits by a background as it hides the cords and such.

I always use black for a Planted tank, For saltwater, I like to use a blue background

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode