Qt tank.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Qt tank..

After I have delt with losing almost all my SAEs from flukes.. and now having treated the whole tank for them.. I am going to start QT-ing now. So! my question is.. how can i do it with out lettign them sit in a small little tank for several weeks? SHould I out them in there and dose all the general meds one after another and then add them to the main tank?

what meds do you dose with? should the filter media in the QT filter be disposed of after the QT is over or reinsterted into the filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Generally a barebottom tank with a sponge filter and a heater makes a good QT tank. (I like 20 highs for this). Dose half the recommended dosage of a broad range anti-biotic and anti-fungal, wait a couple weeks, and your critters should be a-ok. Make sure your sponge filter is cycled and seeded before throwing it in there. When you move the fish out, do a 75 percent water change and add some active carbon to remove the meds until the next round of QT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mm.. well my QT tank would be completely broken down.. and wait.. so I I wanted to use Prazi.. use half the recomended dose? why? or do you mean this more for pimefix and melafix?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I am not sure how fish would react to being treated for everything. More so, I think the trouble is that many treatements can sometimes last for a week or two themselves, so it may be better to just wait the couple weeks and watch for any signs of disease.

I have found 'bonded' floss type filter refills, and leave a few in my healthy tank filters. Then when I need to set up a q-tank, I can just pull one from my main, and toss it when I am done with the quarantine. I suppose you could rinse it in a bleach solution, and then soak in de-chlor, but it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

The one thing I would dose with would be 'Mela-fix'. It is a good general health aid, but won't kill your bio-filter.

Best advice would be to have a cheap 10g as a quarantine, and only get as many fish as can live okay in the 10 for a few weeks.

Not that I always follow my own advice, but each time I rushed things, I have usally lost more fish than I just bought.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
___
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Medication is stressful for fish. Using half the recommended dose is a compromise. It will be more gentle on the fish and it will knock out any latent infections that are not full blown yet.

TAF_CAF also gives good advice - you can just wait it out. I like the filter floss idea. The same can be done with a cheap sponge, if you have a fish-only or a spare tank that you can run the sponge in, then you can have it ready whenever you need it for QT.

And Mela-fix IS great stuff!

I <3 Eheim #195
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
A ten gallon is great for quarentine. I don't think the fish will mind, it's just for a few weeks. As far as the sick fish now, you should treat the whole tank. I wouldn't mess with the filter floss if the fish aren't showing any signs of illness. Leaving the tank empy for a couple weeks in between fish should rid it of most pathogens.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
". . . if you have a fish-only or a spare tank that you can run the sponge in, then you can have it ready whenever you need it for QT. . ."
That's the thing though isn't it? If you only bring in new fish every few months or so (ha-ha, I must be atypical ) is there any way you can avoid having a QT set up constantly? TAF CAF's idea looks like it would avoid this. Maybe just use that excuse to "clean" the main filter and toss part of the used floss into an Aquaclear for a QT?

We all know what tends to happen to a tank that is, ahaha, "empty" . . .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I meant more that you don't want a sponge filter running in your planted tank, bubbling up the surface and degassing all your CO2, BUT if you have a fish-only tank then it'd be just fine to throw a spare sponge filter in there, in order to seed the filter. Then when you need QT, just fill up the 20 (or 10, whatever works) and throw in the seeded sponge from the fish-only tank.

I see what you mean though, this does only work if you have the extra tank around in the first place. I just think sponges are better than HOB filters for QT, maybe because I like all the aeration and they are easier to clean. That, and then your QT tank can double for a FRY TANK when you start having frisky fish!

I <3 Eheim #195
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yup.... tank that is 'empty' gets full really quick.

I have four 2.5g quarantines set up, and two of them have already gotten semi-permanent residents. lol

I am using a sponge filter on one of my 20g quarantines right now.... but I didn't pre-seed the whole thing. I just tied on one of the floss type filter pads that was going in my main tank onto the sponge filter. Bam! Good to go.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I keep small fish, so I have a small Qt. A 5 gallon kit that breaks down and goes to the attic. The sponge filters and bare bottom are a good way to go. I also use a couple large rocks and fake plants so my fish don't stress.

My problem is my Qt tank quickly turns into a fry tank.

EHEIM 2213 #317
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will jsut use Prazi in mt Qts to kill any paracites.. that is what i am most worried about.. maybe do some Fixs (P&m)at the same time.. then a half dose of anti bacteria? sound good?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using half the recommended dose is imo one of the worst thing you can do... the treatment might work... but if it doesnt... you're making the pathogen resistant to your medication.

Do you use half the recommended dosage when your sick? I dont think so...

You should always follow the directions to the letter... ask your vet about it. The medications we use were researched. Risks should be greatly reduced if you can keep a good water quality through the treatment...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunog View Post
Using half the recommended dose is imo one of the worst thing you can do... the treatment might work... but if it doesnt... you're making the pathogen resistant to your medication.

Do you use half the recommended dosage when your sick? I dont think so...

You should always follow the directions to the letter... ask your vet about it. The medications we use were researched. Risks should be greatly reduced if you can keep a good water quality through the treatment...
that si what i thought. i was gonan dose full anyway.. haha!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode