Water Quality Planted vs. not - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (59/100%)
Water Quality Planted vs. not

OK, so on another forum, I watched at how many jumped in to say that the water quality is much better in a non planted tank than it is in a planted tank, and they went further to say that the fish could not care less either way, and that they even prefer a nonplanted tank because of its superior water quality. I was about to jump in and start the debate, but it is about one <me> to 25 <them>

My thoughts leaned on the planted for various reasons~
Most planted tanks, water is changed weekly,
Plants outgas O2 and the fish love it
Planted tanks cycle nutrients that clean out bioload and utilize as NO3 source
Many fish and snails like to graze on plant detritus and biological waste from plant material
Natural inhabitants from fauna to flora help to complete a natural biological cycle
So what are your thoughts on the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
In my experience, planted tanks are a crucial part to good survival rates with Cardinal tetras.

Ive also noticed Discus grow out pretty well in a planted tank. At least mine did. Contrary to the belief that they can not be grown out in a planted tank.

Planted tanks are actually a negative for 02 after lights out. And the tendancies to keep water surface still to keep in co2 isnt exactly the best thing either. Topped with the typical recomendation towards canister filters and negative attitudes towards airstones and whamo. Which probably gives the planted tank a bad wrap.

It is my feeling that most people are confused about things like KH and pH along with O2 levels and dont know any better to provide good input on this topic. Hence the continued belief that planted tanks do not provide optimal water quality vs bare bottom.

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think lack of surface agitation is the major water quality concern for planted tanks, other than that, it's all good

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (59/100%)
well I run an airstone at night, and I have plenty of surface agitation running 2 Eheim canisters. Aside from that are there any other arguments or thoughts?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Hopefully I dont have any more negatives to add to this one.
Let me get back to you six months from now

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
What exactly do they mean when they say "water quality" ?

O2? I've never seen a non planted tank reach a level of 02 saturation high enough that anything pearled, have you?

Water changes are necessary to reduce nitrates in a non planted tank even when properly cycled. Any of you guys have a nitrate problem?

The thing that actually brought me to plants were the angel breeders who were using bare bottomed tanks. Daily water changes? I already have a full time job, so I looked for another way and I ended up here, with all of you wonderful people, and I'm only a couple grand in the hole from lighting and equipment and Conedison and ....... I think its worth it all in all..

I have to say, if non-planted tanks were better for fish, then why is it that the natural lakes and streams they live in are heavily dependant on plant life. The amazon basin is hardly a plant free zone....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I think the plants reduce the stress on the fish also which has all sorts of benefits

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode