CO2 from beginning and RO question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 from beginning and RO question

I'm going to set up my 12g (hopefully) this weekend. It's my first planted tank (had numerous non-planted tanks before this) so I need some advice on two things.

First of all, should I run the CO2 from the start? I plan on cycling with fish.

The other question--my water sucks. I know everyone says use tap water, buy my water is horrible. Floaties everywhere--it just makes a tank look dirty. If I use my RO system, should I just add nutrients from the start, assuming that the water doesn't have them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
As soon as you want your plants to grow you should be providing them with all of the nutrients they need, including macro fertilizers, micro fertilizers and CO2. The sooner they are growing vigorously, the sooner you will protected from ammonia spikes. If your water just has particulate matter in it, filtration will take care of it, but if it is contaminated with things like copper, high nitrites, hydrogen sulfide, etc. you need to first complain to the water company and second, think about RO water. Here is the water quality report for Burbank:
Burbank Water and Power - Site Map It is about 2/3 of the way down on the blue part of the listings.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Maybe it's just my water as opposed to general water quality in Burbank (ie, BAD plumbing) but on the last tank I used with my tap water, I had to run a micron filter to get the gunk out. It was that bad--a regular filter did nothing.

I have no problem with making a batch of water and then dosing it with nutrients--it can't be any worse than mixing saltwater.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

I checked out the report--pH as high as 8.3!!! That's saltwater pH!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 AM

I use RO water in my 29G. You just have to add back in some GH and KH. For that purpose I use a product called "RO Right." Some people just use Epsom Salts and Baking Soda to accomplish the same thing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph0 View Post
I use RO water in my 29G. You just have to add back in some GH and KH. For that purpose I use a product called "RO Right." Some people just use Epsom Salts and Baking Soda to accomplish the same thing.
I think that was the stuff I used on my last freshwater tank (it's been a few years, but it sounds familiar). If so, it was good stuff; always tested right at 7.0 pH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode