ID this "echinodorus" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
ID this "echinodorus"

I've got this plant for around one month now and it grows much taller than when I harvested it from a Sumatran river in Lampung province. The growth gets much faster since I use a huge DIY external reactor so I can crank my CO2 beyond normal rate. The leaves are kinda soft and thin unlike most echis and the overall shape from the root to the leaves strongly resembles echinodorus sp (even though I'm not sure if it is a member of echinodorus sp). There is something like flower stalk coming right up real quick to the surface and in two days maybe I can take a shot of a flower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by medicineman; 10-25-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
From the pic and your description, I'd venture a guess that the plant could be a Nuphar sp. or a Nymphoides sp. A closeup of the leaf might shed some more light on the question. What's the root structure like? Does it have a rhizome?

Do post a pic of what comes out of the 'flower stalk' thing!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The leaves veins looks like those of echinodorus, that goes the same to the leaf shape. However unlike echnodorus, this one is limp-stalked and thin leaved. No rhizome and probably not nymphoides or nuphar sp because I have seen/ have both. Some local southeast asian folks said this one is likely to be ottelia.. whatever that means because as far as I know I got the specimen from untainted river (hence likely to be genuine local species) and it seems ottelia is not as widely used internationally.

I will shot if the stalk really sends out flower!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Always trust the locals...
In this case, that could well be true! At least, it should not be an Echi - they should be a genus of Neotropics only (the Americas).
After googling pics of Ottelia alismoides, I wouldn't discount that option. See f. ex. this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Crap... its looked that the tip of the flower stalk is eaten by my fish. Probably cannot flower now, but there are two more coming up, hopefully this time wont get eaten.

Here is a close up on the plant

flower stalk

I didnt know anything about the plant when I placed it in the tank. Now it grows too big, more than 60cm tall and needs to be re-positioned to the background.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a beautiful plant!
Not sure that the tip of the stalk is eaten... But if so, hopefully the other two will get to flower. I think your pic confirms though that it's an Ottelia...
Here's a pic of Ottelia alismoides flowers with leaf.
Maybe yours is not O. alismoides but it sure seems to me to be an Ottelia sp!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode