Share in my misery- words of encouragement needed 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Share in my misery- words of encouragement needed 56k warning

So this is what its come to... 70+ species in 9 tanks.... and WHAMO your life can change in an instant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	distruction.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	3384  

Name:	distruction 55.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	3385  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These are previous pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90gal feb10-06 back.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	3386  

Name:	big tank right 4-19-05-shrunk for forum.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	3387  

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ugly, just ugly.

I went out of town on Labor day and when I came home my life was drastically altered in many many ways. It started with a parasite from un-quarantined fish (I know STUPID) and then the real important things in life, like family, went horribly awry and each day I would go to Dr.s appointments with people I loved and get bad news- struggle to keep up at work and then come home and watch fish die and plants rot. I turned out the lights after a while, I couldn't watch it any more.

The net net of my sob story is the worst is over for now, but not when it comes to the tanks. No ferts, empty CO2 canisters, parasite outbreaks, and the rest is history. After countless losses and the beautiful artwork that had adorned my house turned in algae encrusted abandoned lots- or some worse, just the dead brown skeletons of what used to be lush greenery, fungused bodies of third generation angelfish that I raised from fry with the help of excellent (yet still dead) parents...

Today I came home from work. Opened a bottle of wine - the first of may I intended to consume tonight, and went to work dismantling the 90 in my living room- the first of 7 of 9 tanks that have to go...

And I went into my bedroom and saw Stumpy- one of the first angels I have ever owned- was desperately defending a fresh spawn, with a Daddy angel by her side. Her name is stumpy because as a juvenile she was the victim of such a bad fungus outbreak that it ate away her tail and much of the flesh at the end of her spine- her tail never grew back, but she survived and gave it her all for all of these years. 3+ years to be exact... She lost her mate, and so did Joe Jr. who lives in the 29 in my bedroom. I put them together when I decided I had to take down some of the tanks. They didn't get along at all at first. He attacked her for days. Then I think the reality set in that his mate was gone for good, so he hid and stopped eating for the next week. That was the last straw for me, but I think they decided not to give up, because tonight the two of them are vigorously guarding a batch of fertilized eggs- and life goes on..

So I decided not to call it quits. I think. For today at least. Maybe I am grasping at straws, assigning human qualities to dumb fish, but maybe it is a sign.... Maybe I am being too philosophical, either way, thanks for listening.

Paula

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Well I think I can feel your pain.

Life does go on, things do get better. If anything maybe rid some of the tanks, keep a gem for yourself and get polishing!!!

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I so sorry to hear about your family hardship! Seems like life can tear down all the beauty we have built in a matter of moments! Nothing to do but rebuild.

good luck on your tanks!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Evergreen and Brilliant. I could really use the encouragement.

For more pics of when the tank (in the first shot above) was in its glory:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...oming-out.html

Goodness, its a little bit encouraging that it could look like that again, and a lot heartbreaking as I look at the pictures of all the lost species, clean glass and the old tank inhabitants.. The good news? I am no longer reluctant to take the scissors to what is left alive! Maybe I'll start a journal- at least it will encourage me to stay on it if I know others are watching my progress. I tend to work well when grossly over supervised.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus View Post

Goodness, its a little bit encouraging that it could look like that again.
NP! couldnt have said this better myself.

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I feel your pain about the tanks and their inhabitants. But you were where you needed to be, with your loved ones, that is a gift to them, unfortunately to give it your tanks suffered, looking back would you choose differently? My guess is no. Besides, I know deep down you wanted an excuse to swap out substrate anyway

In all seriousness, I wish your loved ones the best that can be had and your tanks a speedy recovery.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ganbare Paula

I know you'll get back to it! I also think that the spirit of not-giving-up is not something for just humans, but all living things. The spirit to move on and strive ahead is definitely a living quality, a beautiful thing, neh? You're alive, and still got it.

(ganbarre is a Japanese-slang, a word that doesn't quite exist in English but means roughly "Don't give up" or "work hard!" or "grit!" well, it's the best word to express my thought)
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why didn't you come to this conclusion before you let everything waste way?

I would scale down quite a bit. Maybe you took on too many tanks..and burned out? Start one back up...and dedicate full attention to it.

Not fair to plants/fish to neglect them. Scale down and re-commit.

Hope you are feeling better personally..cheer up.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nana korobi, ya oki!
-snafu
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
►◊÷ Ō «◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
turbosaurus sorry to hear about the problems going on. I also had some mishap with 2 surgeries back to back in one week time just a month ago. My tanks also did not look the best. But I have been working on them little bit everyday might take me a month or so to get them back into shape but it is worth it all. Take care and wish you best of luck.
Also congrats on your female angel finding a new mate and getting a spawn.

P.S. You are truly one of the nicest person's on the PT forum with high quality plants at very reasonable prices.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
I'm sorry turbosaurus.....but I hope and think that once you wipe that green off the glass and take a good look inside, you may find some survival stories of the unexpected kind! I hope your angels pull through as well, they are fabulous fish.

I also hope you and your family are pulling through as well. I know how hard that can be and to see you are still interested in the hobby shows great determination on your part. Keep your head up, I'm pullin for ya!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Paula, hopefully things have turned the corner for you.

On your tanks, you'd be amazed though, how they can bounce back! About the middle of the summer I'd had it with trying to get rid of the algae in my tank, awful thread algae among others, (to give an example, as bad as if not worse than Scolley's prior algae tank, but I wasn't brave enough to take pictures,) and made the decision to nuke all the plants with a bleach dip. I pulled everything out and was very agressive.

I probably managed to kill off at least half, maybe as much as 80% of my plants. It looked pretty pitiful when I put the remnants back .

But now, 2-3 months later, my 55 is an algae-free success! For the first time ever I've been able to give some plants and trimmings away which I couldn't in good conscience do before because of the blasted algae.

GMF, it sounds like "ganbarre" might translate as "Hang in there!" And I will say it as well, "Hang in there!"

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Oh Turbo..so sad to hear about all of this. Sometimes life in our little microcosm tends to parallel our real lives and it can be quite an emotional blow. I can totally relate to the personal issues and how easy it is to focus on that and let everything go to hell around you. The best way to handle it, as I have learned, is to scale down and simplify things, then you can build back up into an intricate, complex thing again. Simplify, start small, prove to yourself you rock, and get it going one at a time. You will find it encouraging and therepeutic to make something thrive again. You obviously have some good support here, so get too it! Best of luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode