Am I Overfertilizing??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Am I Overfertilizing???

I am dosing Gregg Watson Dry Ferts.

There was a member (WolfenXXX??) who posted a spreadsheet a year back or so that I have been following. Problem is - I have algae problems. I have a 75G heavily planted tank, pressurized CO2, and 4x65 CF lights (Orbit Moonlight with the Actinics removed and replaced with CFs).

I dose KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Plantex CSM+B, MGSO4, CACO3,and Iron.

Here is my regiment.

Sunday:
50% water change
2 tsp MGSO4
1/2 tsp KNO3
1/4 tsp KH2PO4
1/4 tsp K2SO4
1 tsp CACO3
10 ml CSM+B (in liquid)
5 ml Fe

THen, starting on Tuesday - I dose the following ferts:
1/2 tsp KNO3
1/4 tsp KH2PO4
1/4 tsp K2SO4
1 tsp CACO3
10 ml CSM+B (in liquid)
5 ml Fe

I seem to be getting some bad black coating on the leaves of my Annubias (black paint like algea that covers the light facing leaves).

I also have a bad infestation of BBA and Green Slime Algea....but I think these are due to periods when I was traveling for long periods and my levels got out of whack. Noting except the black paint algae is getting worse.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The standard wisdom is that algae problems are usually a product of low c02, so I bet it would help the experts around here if you gave your PPM of co2 (should be around 30ppm). The way many people like to estimate this (you can find charts that find your PPM by knowing your KH and Ph) is to aim for a 1.0 degree drop (e.g. from 7.0 to 6.0) from your water's "natural" PH level (a sample from your tap, assuming you use tap, that has been left to sit for 24 hrs).

You have a lot of light in your tank: 260 watts for 75 gallons, which is very close to 4 watts/per gallon. In such a high light tank, the likelihood is that you are underdosing nutrients rather than overdosing them. Greater light means that your plants have higher than average (especially if it is heavily planted) need for nutrients. Also, it would probably be helpful to the experts if you told them what kelvin rating is on the bulbs of your CF fixtures.

Karla
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Your dosing seems good (just off the top of my head), but what about your CO2? HOw are you dissolving it? Do you run it 24/7? Have a controller? My guess is that if you crank up the CO2 level to just until your fish look uncomfortable, then turn it down just slightly until they seem fine... that is the sweet spot. Get those levels of CO2 up and that black "paint" will start turning reddish, then whitish, then fall off in flakes. I had the same thing going on in my 110. Prune the worst leaves and let the CO2 cure the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
THen, starting on Tuesday - I dose the following ferts:
1/2 tsp KNO3
1/4 tsp KH2PO4
1/4 tsp K2SO4
1 tsp CACO3
10 ml CSM+B (in liquid)
5 ml Fe
just to clarify one thing.....you dose all of these, once per day?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Algae problems are likely due to CO2 issue not ferts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
More Details

First - I add that fertilizer load every other day.

On the CO2:

I have a Milwaukie PH controller and a reactor that sits inside the tank. THe bubbles go in and a power head swishes it around.

I live in Portland Oregon and our water is SOFT!!!! I add Baking soda to try and get the hardness up and set the PH to around 6.5. Even so, keeping the CO2 at 30ppm is tough.

What else can I do here?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohart View Post
Even so, keeping the CO2 at 30ppm is tough.

What else can I do here?
I'm glad you asked that question! What you can do is try one of the in-tank, ADA style "drop checkers" that let us determine the amount of CO2 in the water much more accurately. See: DIY Drop Checker - Page 2 - Aquatic Plant Central- aquascaping...a living art

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode