Setting up a 10G at work (right now) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up a 10G at work (right now)

I'm getting tired of walking 150 meters down the hallway with a one gallon jug to fill this tank so I thought I would take a break and post/introduce myself, etc.

So hi. I'm Mark. 26 year old in Texas. Been reading/admiring planted tanks for a couple years. Attempted my first high-tech tank about a year ago which ended in a cyanobacteria disaster (I could not accept the need to ADD nitrates. I learned my lesson).

About 6 weeks ago I re-setup a 29 gallon high-tech tank. This time with more knowledge and unlearning. Everything is going great.

So of course now I need a tank in my office and that is what I am working on at the moment. Over the last few weeks I have been gathering parts for this ten gallon tank. I have a "Satellite" 40-watt PC lighting fixture which I like a lot. An AquaClear 20. And a DIY CO2 with a "ladder" type difuser/disolver/reactor/whatever.

For substrate I decided to do the layering thing. Just a sprinking of peat moss on the bottom, covered with pure laterite, then about 10lbs of this nice dark "deep river" style aquarium gravel. I spent the most time looking for a top-layer gravel I liked, but settled for this. I wanted something rock-like and not sand, but I wish this gravel were just a little finer grained.

As I said the water is going in the tank now. I am surprised that the peat and laterite and not clouding the water, but I'm using the "plate trick" and it's crystal clear with 5 gallons. 5 gallons to go...

My weakest area of knowledge is with the actual plant species. I don't even know what "HC" is that I see talked about so often. I have been looking through the plant specied database on here and I've got my heart set on having a carpet of "Glosso." Also considering Hydrocotyl Leuceophala (Brazillian Pennywort) or Cardamine Lyrata. Some Cryptocoryne Aponogetifolia and Anubias Barteri 'Petite' (Petite Nana). Still working on this as I am going to let it "cook" while I gather plants.

Finally I want to stock the tank with Rummy-nosed Tetras and Cardinal Tetras mainly. I've never kept either of these species before.

Anyway breaktime is over. Time to start lugging water again. Next purchase will be a 5 gallon bucket for sure. Please offer any feedback to my setup and plans if you see anything worth noting.

Thanks!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would question Rummies in a 10 gal. They are fairly small, so that is not the issue, but they really like room to run. I had 3 in a 55g and they just raced from one end to the other all day long..... so cute! I have never had them in a small tank, so they might be fine, but personally I would probably stay with the cardinals.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great tank!

Oh.... and WELCOME!

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Hey Mark...welcome
Fist of all HC = Hemianthus callitrichoides
It is a foreground plant. It looks like you have your heart set on glosso.

I agree with TAF CAF on the rummies. They are sensitive and like room. I would stick with the Cardinals or go with regular neons. If you want more of something, pick a nano fish. Look here

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...st-v1-0-a.html

or Nano-Fish

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Of course, a colony of Cherry shrimp would be great, too!

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
true! Or amanos and nanofish
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Two more gallons to go....

Definately going to have a little population of shrimp. Forgot to mention that. I have about 10-15 ghost shrimp in my 29G planted tank at home and they're fun to watch. Surprising that all of them have survived with my Tiger Barbs. I want to try a few Cherries or Amanos in this tank.

Looks like I might have to rethink the Rummies. Too bad because I really like them. Never looked much into them until I read about them here and saw them on sale at a LFS. Perhaps in another tank. I'll start with Cardinals/Neons and shrimp for now.

My lighting fixture has a weird bulb that is half 10,000K and half Actinic. I think it looks funny, but it will have to do for now until I buy a different "daylight" bulb.

Is the 40W of CF light I have over this 10G considered a good amount of light? I know it's 4WPG, but it doesn't seem the same as the 110W I have over my 29G.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think it is okay.... but I don't know much.... I do know that the rules of watts per gallon breaks down when you are in a smaller tank or a really big ones, so I think it is just a matter of trying it out.

I am sure someone here has a 10g and can give you some guidance on the light requirements.

___
___
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF View Post
I think it is okay.... but I don't know much.... I do know that the rules of watts per gallon breaks down when you are in a smaller tank or a really big ones, so I think it is just a matter of trying it out.

I am sure someone here has a 10g and can give you some guidance on the light requirements.
i have a 40W CF satellite fixture over my 10 gallon and it works great. the only thing you Need to do is add CO2 unless you want mega algae--

also, the actinic half of that bulb doesnt do anyhting for plants, so technically you only have 20 watts of plant usuable like over that tank, 2 WPG. change it out for a dual daylight (6500 K, 10,000 K)

(product number:CD-16956) Aquarium Lighting: Current Compact Fluorescent Square Pin Bulbs

available other places too

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode