I need help!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need help!!

I have a 55 gallon tank with hardness off the chart and a ph of 8.1. I have co2 that is currently not in use with an external reactor. I dosed nitrates with potassium nitrates and used flourish for micros. I have 2 10,000 k 65 watt bulbs on for 10 hrs and have 2 bulbs in the back that are currently not in use. The substrate is small gravel with peatmoss and ironite mixed in.I have read up and cannot find the right doseage. Currently I have crypts,red lotus, a sword,and micro sword grass. All I can grow is a dark black algea that attcks the plants and the plant turns a pale brown. I have had sucsess in the past growing fast growing wiseria or riccia but have always fought the dark algea problem. I am assuming it is due to a bad fertilizing schedule but I have not been sucsessful finding the right one. If someone can help me develope a good pmdd I would be appreciative. Thanks Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:50 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow...algea factory in the making....you need that c02 going
to make use of those ferts and lighting....get the ph way down.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

You are close also I am in Columbia Mo. I am currently not fertilizing or using co2 until I can find a routine that work...Going to leave it be until I can get help.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 PM

I'm in Jefferson City, BTW
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
If you have c02 use it!!! That will alieviate the algae growth ya got goin on. Ya want the plants to out compete the algae, an without co2 I believe the algae is suckin the N03 up quicker than your plants are...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM

I also have a high GH at around 230ppm but GH isn't as bad as PH that high. I would Keep doseing with PH minus until you get it down. Not sure about the other plants, but Swords like it around 7.0 to 7.5. I have a community tank so I try to keep it at 6.5 PH. GH will go down after frequent water changes. I've heard people say putting Peat Moss in your filter will help with GH, but I've never tried it.

I've been told plants need anywhere from 8 to 12 hours of light. If you are trying to get rid of the Algae you need to get rid of either their food or their light. turning off the lights will definately kill the algae, but your plants will die too. My last resort after an algae bloom was to turn the lights off for about 2 months until the tank was spotless, then start over. If you up the light time to 12 hours, hopefully the plants will start growing again and leave the algae in the dust.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Take a few minutes and read my Guide.

DON'T use pH minus.

Get the CO2 going.

Putting Ironite in the substrate was not the best idea.

Get a bunch of fast growing stem plants in there till you get a handle on the tank.

Look in the water chemistry Forum here for a dosing guide.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I am sorry it was laterite not ironite...slip of the tounge. I just stared over and am down to the plants mentioned. I don't want to go too low on the ph thi time a i switched to mbunas. I have seen many mbuna planted tanks so I know it is possible. 7.5 or 7.6 ph is as low as I really want to go. I habe over read and over analized my situation and as you can see from my membership date I am not new to plants. I have subscribedto too many different theroies. If someone can tell me where I should set my ph so I can tell how much co2 to put in and tell me what else to test for I will gladly listen. Rex I will read your site and try to get on the right track and fill my co2 tank tomorrow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First you need to stop worrying about pH. It isn't a problem for fish or plants, except for rare exceptions. You need to be providing the plants a balanced diet of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium, plus micronutrients and CO2. Until you do that the algae are going to be your primary landscape element. Read Rex's guide - the best start you can get.

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 03:33 PM

Great guide Rex!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Well I got my co2 filled and hoked up last night only to find that the solenoid on the reg. s stuck open! I turned down he flow to bring ph from 8.1 to 7.7 and it seems to be holding steady now I just need a jbj solenoid to keep the ph meter in check so I can turn up the flow without killing anything. Anyone know where to buy one? Next on the list is Greg Watson to order some ferts and try ei dosing. Still may need a lil help there tweaking the dosing too. Gonna start looking for fast growing plants and more species so if anone wants to help me with the cause pm me with a price!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get the solenoid from Rex. I just ordered one from him....his stuff gets great reviews here.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode