Kent botanica Line - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi I am new here, and appreciate any advice possible.

I was wondering if anyone uses the Kent botanica line or nutrients for plants?

Also if you do, do you follow the label religeously or do you dose more or less then is recommended? I have the K (pottasium) and Micro suppliment. I have been doing the daily dosing. Thanks for any and all help.

29 Gallon Standard Moderate Light Planted tank
Lighting: 2x27 Watt 6500k P.C. Lights of America Outdoor Fixtures. 2x 20 Watt N.O. Flor. w/ Sylvania Gro Bulbs (9350k I think). Both are retrofited into a diy 12" tall canopy, with a 4" Diameter Clip on fan facing the opening in the back to circulate the excessive heat from the lighting.
Filtration: Tetra Tech 150 (modified to make very little disturbance.
Aquarium Systems Mini-jet for more circulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Can't afford those fancy bottled nutrients. I use bulk nutrients. K2SO4 for potassium and Plantex CSM for traces.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I am pretty limited budget myself, I just happen to have a friend who works at an lfs and gets me the stuff at their cost.

fwiw I use the diy co2.

Lighting: 2x27 Watt 6500k P.C. Lights of America Outdoor Fixtures. 2x 20 Watt N.O. Flor. w/ Sylvania Gro Bulbs (9350k I think). Both are retrofited into a diy 12" tall canopy, with a 4" Diameter Clip on fan facing the opening in the back to circulate the excessive heat from the lighting.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM

Hi I use the Kent botanica nitrate and phosphate together with the sera iron fertiliser.
I start with their reccomended amount as a guide and get the right level with a test kit
pete
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

KNO3 $1 a pound, K2SO4, $1 a pound, Plantex CSM $1 an ounce. For around $10 shipped I can get over a years worth of fertilizers.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Rex, do you think its possible to ship these things overseas (to me), only places I found so far I can get raw chemicals from seem to only supply schools directly...

I suppose there has to be some downside to living in africa.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 07:24 PM

where do you order those from?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 07:54 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantastic28
Hi I am new here, and appreciate any advice possible.

I was wondering if anyone uses the Kent botanica line or nutrients for plants?

Also if you do, do you follow the label religeously or do you dose more or less then is recommended? I have the K (pottasium) and Micro suppliment. I have been doing the daily dosing. Thanks for any and all help.
To actually give you an answer to your question, the Kent line is adaquate for anyone who is not versed in mixing, or doesn't want to take the time to mix, their own fertilizer. When ever someone in the club asks about these products we nod and say yes they work, just follow the directions. When someone says they are ready to start tweaking the fertilizers beyond what you can do with the commercial mixes we explain the route that Rex was discussing.

Eventually you might want to start moving past what the lable directions say to do because, for example, you have plants that would respond better to an increase in K or Fe. That's when you will know that the lable directions are guidelines and you can taylor your fertilizers to your tanks. At this point you'd be advised to look at what Rex was taking about because it is cheaper to customize your fertilizers with the raw materials.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks all for your input!

Rex,

Where would one purchase these bulk chemicals? Also what is the guidline for their useage.

Thanks!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 PM

Since Rex isn't answering, I'm guessing he's talking about ordering ferts from off-ice (a.k.a. Curt Dunaway) from plantgeek.net
Curt sells these, as well as homemade root tabs for next to nothing. The bad part is the shipping. $1 for the KNO3, $4.50 for shipping...but if you ordered a few things it'd balance out...and since I can't find a nitrate source locally, this is what I have to do.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can also get ferts here http://www.gregwatson.com/products.asp

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey, some of us work for a living and don't have access to a computer at our manual labor blue collar job!

Both sources listed are great.

For dosing info go to http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm and either use then on-line calculator or download the new calculator for use on your machine.

Nordic, I'm not sure if you could ship them to you or not. Postal authorities get real weird about shipping white powder. If you look around I'm sure you could find them. Talk to a Drugstore or go out in the country to a feed store or see if there are any hydroponic supply stores around you.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks to all!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

also, if you go to the thread entitled "fertilizers" in the "General Planted Tank Discussion" forum there are some sources listed for chemicals. one of these is a canadian outfit; one of their local distributors has said he would ship to the usa.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
also, if you go to the thread entitled "fertilizers" in the "General Planted Tank Discussion" forum there are some sources listed for chemicals. one of these is a canadian outfit; one of their local distributors has said he would ship to the usa.
I know several places in Canada that will ship to the US. But their prices are higher and the shipping costs a lot more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode