Different Varieties of Riccia???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello all, I have a thin variety of riccia ...it was thin when i got it...and when it grows it's still thin...

however, at my local lfs...i saw a variety of riccia that is 3 times thicker than mine.....could they have a different variety???

another thing to note is that two of my other lfs have riccia that look similar to mine...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
While it is possible that the stuff at the LFS might be Pellia, it is probably just Riccia grown under nutrient rich conditions. I've got very different riccia grown from the same bunch because of different conditions (low light/low nutrient/no CO2 vs high light/high nutrient/pressurized CO2).

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with GCA about Riccia being quite variable depending on conditions. You don't have Java moss, do you Hubba?

But, on another forum I heard about a "sinking" form of Riccia. Has anyone neard of this and where I could get my hands on some?

75 gallon heavily planted, 350w MH, 60/40 flourite/gravel, DIY CO2(for now), XP3, Mag350 w/inline DIY CO2 reactor, and fluval surface skimmer. 45 gallon pent corner heavily planted 175w MH, 80/20 Profile/Flourite, DIY CO2, XP3, DIY in-tank foam prefiltered power CO2 reactor. A few other tanks, and way too many plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

no no, i know the difference between riccia and java moss....i just find it so weird..because the one lfs that has the really nice looking riccia is keeping it floating and adding no ferts at all..... and nothing special to it.....

me and the other lfs are doing the same thing....yet we have skinny riccia....

i don't think it's pellia because it's floating , not sinking.....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
While it is possible that the stuff at the LFS might be Pellia, it is probably just Riccia grown under nutrient rich conditions. I've got very different riccia grown from the same bunch because of different conditions (low light/low nutrient/no CO2 vs high light/high nutrient/pressurized CO2).
hi sam, merry christmas, buddy,

hey could you post some pics of the different riccia you got? i'm curious to see if you may have the "lush" riccia like that lfs

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
hi sam, merry christmas, buddy,

hey could you post some pics of the different riccia you got? i'm curious to see if you may have the "lush" riccia like that lfs
Merry Christmas!

I don't have a picture of the really thin and branchy riccia I get in my 2.5g nano with low light/low nutrients, but here is the thicker stuff that grows in the 55g...

- Sam P -
Former Tank Journals:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yep!!! that's the one from the lfs store!!!! oh man!! it looks awesome haha....

unfortunately i've got the skinny one....oh man, you know, it grows so fast on the surface though....

you've got to tell me what conditions you have in that tank that are growing it so terrifically

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

How long have you been trying to grow it on the surface? That ensures a virtually unlimited CO2 supply (from the air) and plenty of light (being so close to the bulbs).
The stuff pictured is growing under 3.8wpg (midway down) in 20ppm pressurized CO2 with 7-0.7-15 N-P-K levels (in mg/l). It doesn't need even that much, though.

- Sam P -
Former Tank Journals:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i've been trying to grow it on the surface for over two months now.... i started out with a small clump... now, it covers the entire surface of my 55 G plus i've given away significant amounts of it ....hmm... let's say it has grown to where it could cover two or maybe three 55 Gs

needless to say, it's a lot of riccia i have....i'm starting to think that i may need to fertilize with nitrates in order to get more lush growth...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode