C02 on Timer ... Pros and Cons ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
C02 on Timer ... Pros and Cons ??

What are the pros and cons of putting my C02 solenoid on a timer with the lights. I have invested in some Discus ... and want to make sure that during the night, the water doesn't get so oxygen deprived that they get hurt or worse, killed.

If I put the solenoid on the timer, do I need to close the tank at night ... can anything get damaged leaving it on etc etc.?

Thanks

Is Hokey Pokey Really What It's all about ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
What are the pros and cons of putting my C02 solenoid on a timer with the lights. I have invested in some Discus ... and want to make sure that during the night, the water doesn't get so oxygen deprived that they get hurt or worse, killed.

If I put the solenoid on the timer, do I need to close the tank at night ... can anything get damaged leaving it on etc etc.?

Thanks
Putting lights and CO2 on a timer is ok, no damage.

110 gallon Discus tank
65 gallon Discus tank
30 gallon Discus tank
20 gallon standby tank
10 gallon quarantine
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Planted Member

The only downside is that it adds another set of CO2 connections that need to be soap-bubble tested for leaks. Try to get a setup that is hard-piped together up through the needle valve, rather than flexible-tubing connected together. If you want to get really fancy, use a separate timer for the CO2 set to come on 30 minutes before the lights come on and go off.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

If you leave your lights on for lets say 10 -12 hours a day and during that time the CO2 is working, but at night the the timer turns the lights and the CO2 off, there should not be a problem if they are both on the same timer.

By the way that is how I am hooked up and at the present and have 9 Discus.

110 gallon Discus tank
65 gallon Discus tank
30 gallon Discus tank
20 gallon standby tank
10 gallon quarantine
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:22 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Pros:
CO2 is only supplied when it is needed, during the photosynthetic period.
That saves CO2, and therefore trips to the refill place.
No CO2 build-up over night, which leaves some fishies gasp in the morning.
No need for additional aeration/surface agitation at night.

Cons:
Additional expense for solenoid.
Additional complexity - solenoid might get stuck or burn out one day.
Possibly delayed CO2 level increase in the mornings.

Quote:

Thanks
You don't have to close the CO2 tank valve. The solenoid cuts off the CO2 flow and opens up again in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:39 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I have mine set up that way too; however, I have it turn on an hour before my lights turn on so CO2 can fill the colmn enough to be available for the plants when the lights turn on.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
I have used a timer on myCO2 in a Discus tank for over two years with no problems. I also use a timer for one of the lights(2 units) so this enable me to turnon the lite early AM to feed at 1.2WPG then CO2 comes on 1 hr before 2lite unit(4wpg)stays on 9hr. Co2 shuts off 1 hr before 2nd lite unit.
Confusing I know,but it allows me to enjoy the tank before and after work, and maybe simulates lite intensity in 13 hr day.

75 Gal Discus,Crypts,Bacopa,Vals,Ludwigia,Java Fern,Hygro+2 Swords,Alternanthera,java moss ,anubias,P.stellata,lotus
12 Gal Nano, Shrimp,Pygmy Corys,Riccia, Ludwigia,, crypts, HC,nana petite
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I have used a timer on myCO2 in a Discus tank for over two years with no problems. I also use a timer for one of the lights(2 units) so this enable me to turnon the lite early AM to feed at 1.2WPG then CO2 comes on 1 hr before 2lite unit(4wpg)stays on 9hr. Co2 shuts off 1 hr before 2nd lite unit.
Confusing I know,but it allows me to enjoy the tank before and after work, and maybe simulates lite intensity in 13 hr day.

What timers are you using for this all? I've been looking for a all-in-one kinda timer, but haven't found one yet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 AM

In regard to the first post:
It's also a good Idea to run a smal air pump with an air stone at night. Plants will actually use Oxygen at night when there is no light, and CO2 in the day when there is light. When I get my CO2 setup it will be as such.

epicfish:
I just got a sweet timer from the LFS. They had two models. One had a timer on each end and an inverse swtich for each timer. Meaning that for each timer you had a "yellow" zone and a "green" zone. when the green zone turned on, the yellow turned off and visa versa. I got the cheaper model with just one timer and two outlets for a green zone and two outlets for a yellow zone as well as four always on outlets. Here is a picture:
http://www.marineandreef.com/product...r_centerSM.jpg
I have his little brother:
http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/aquar...ngle_timer.jpg

As for the Solinoid switch I got a brand new one off of Ebay for $5 plus shipping. There are two kinds, "normally closed" or "normally open". Pic your poison I guess.
Here is supposed to be a good supplier
ASCO Valve - 2-Way

On a side note.... I have been looking at computer controlled timming schemes using x10 technology
(www.x10.com though it seems to be down right now, weird). These badboys can be turned on/off and dimmed all using software on your computer. There are two different software packages I've been looking at, one Windows Based(http://www.draquarium.com/),
one Linux Based ( http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/).

I installed DrAquarium and it's setup to do a simple water change and chemicals check reminder via Email, but this little gem is supposed to let you control everything from sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times to Emailing you when your pH gets to high. the built in x10 plugin lets you control anything you plug into the wall. I can't wait to get my CO2 setup so I can program it to come on/off along with my lights.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode