New planted tank; please give feedback (pics!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New planted tank; please give feedback (pics!)

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt at a planted tank. It is a 15 gallon with an AC30 filter (lowest setting), hagen CO2 system, 65w powercompact with night light, and ecocomplete substrate.

The glass is covered in hair algae, but I just added 2 otos last night. Hopefully they will do a good job at cleaning it (they have already made my crypts spotless!).

Here is my Anubias 'nana' added yesterday.

Lobelia Cardinalis, added 3 weeks ago. All of the small leaves are new growth, and each node seems to be sending a shoot downward. I plant to cut and propagate this until it fills this corner.

This is a dwarf lilly I have been having problems with. It makes a new leaf every 3 days or so, but I have had to remove 1 leaf so far and one more to come. I initially only partially buried the bulb, but the roots were unable to get to the substrate, so I recently buried it completely.

Red Ludwigia, added yesterday. I initially added all of them bunched up like they came from the store, but today I spaced them out a bit to give a little more breathing room.

Crypt Wendtii 'tropica' added 3 weeks ago. I was most concerned about this one because of "Crypt rot." However, it seems to have taken well and the otos cleaned up a bunch of brown algae that had accumulated on the leaves.

Finally, here is some dwarf hairgrass. I split up the bunch as instructed by the guy who sold it to me. This seems to be growing well, and there is a lot of new growth. The tips of some of the longer blades are brown, though. Is this brown algae as well?

I have been fertilizing weekly with Flourish, about 1/4 capful or approx. 1ml. Please give me any aquascaping/plant care tips you may wish to share. Thanks!

Sorry for the long post.

Gino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i think the tank looks good, i personally would have 3-4 ottos in that tank to help on algea but thats me. the plants look good, on the dwarf hair grass, if you give it a little "mow" it will help to shoot out runners and grow more, it looks like it was grown emersed not immersed (out of water and not under water.) so it isnt algea but dieing or just brown groth cut the tops off and it will encourage growth...

i like the wood and i think the tank looks good. if you arent planning on adding any fish that would make a snack out of shrimp i would recomend some, i have cherries and love them.

have fun with the tank, oh by the way what are the demensions? is it a 15high?

- Fish newb
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
You are off to a nice start.
A couple of things to consider.
Flourish is fine for traces but you will need to dose macros especially Potassium or your plants will starve.
Your lotus is fine for now, but if that bulb stays buried, it will rot and the plant will fail to thrive.
I would maybe try to get hold of some Amano shrimp for your algae. Otos are great but that is not their favorite. I would be surprised if they even touched it.
If you want to stay ahead of the algae game, perhaps add a few more fast growers for a while and dose those ferts. Some suggested reading would be
www.barrreport.com look into Estimative Index....it is a fertilization method.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
That's a lot of light for that tank, but it is doable. It would help if you can get a lot of floating plants during the initial break in period. After the tank settles, you can gradually reduce the amount and adjust how you handle your tank as you go.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. The tank is a 15 reg. 2ftX1ftX1ft.

To mow the grass, do I just cut the tops off, then remove them? Or should I cut off the end of each strand?

Observant imp...So what should I do with the bulb, uncover it?

Gino
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:46 AM

no need to mow anything IMO...hairgrass will throw out runners on their own. My tiny little plugs turned into a confluent lawn in a matter of weeks, and I didn't disturb it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 AM

Lift up the bulb so it is covered only on the bottom 3rd. It will quickly send roots form that point down into the substrate.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
Lift up the bulb so it is covered only on the bottom 3rd. It will quickly send roots form that point down into the substrate.

Better?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 02:27 AM

A little more and you will be set. Don't worry about it being heavily anchored. It willl send roots and anchor itself....Better though!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Will that dwarf lilly quickly out grow a 15gal.? I was under the impression that a lilly was only feasible in a large tank like a 55+ tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:02 PM

It will be fine as long as it is pruned regularly so the leaves no not reach the top. They look better in larger tanks for sure, but you can keep them compact with continuous pruning.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

lol I hope to have that problem. Mine does not seem to be able to get started. I repositioned it the way you suggested, fresh newby.

Gino
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:41 AM

KP...they look sickly for a while until they get established and they are left alone. Once they take root and get their requirements, they will grow well for you. Be patient.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode